Anyone used a dust shroud for their grinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some pipes to chop in was looking at one of these? Or should i just buy a chasing tool?

Sponsored Links
I do have a universal one it sort of works, reduces some of the dust but not all, a real pain to use with the vac hose attached though

I use a cheap chaser (less than £100 from either toolstation or screwfix).

The main advantages are constant depth of cut and both channels cut (parallel) at the same time.

Downsides are that it weighs more and you have terminate the channel slightly earlier if running in to a corner or the ceiling (because of the size of the shroud).

Dust extraction is pretty impressive, bar the initial plunge before the shroud is flush with the wall. The tool is quite heavy, so the attached vacuum hose is not that noticeable.

I bought a cheap one from ebay on a recommendation. It's a proper faff to set up, and doesn't quite fit on my old draper grinder unless I leave one of the securing screws off, however combined with my trusty and abused Henry vacuum, it makes a notable difference that is worth the grief. The tip with the plunge, is to pivot the grinder on the rear edge of the shroud, so more of the dust is captured between the wall and the shroud. Mine had a clear plastic case, which was helpful for seeing where you're cutting, ish..

Sponsored Links
I've seen some videos where people use a clear plastic storage box, without the lid

1676903317221.png

Cut a hole in the side and tape a rubber glove to it, another hole for the hoover pipe, then just hold the grinder with one hand and the box against the wall with the other. Seems to work reasonably well.

I have the bosch one and it eliminates most of the dust, it has various settings for depth.

Opps, would the one you have be able to go through stone rather than bricks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back