aol using ntl broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps,
wonder if any of you can help
i have an aol broadband gold account through ntl with one of those silver modems.
i have purchased a linksys router however i cannot share my internet connection
i have done the usual stuff clone mac addy etc to no avail
i can network normal ntl broadband ...whats the difference?
anyone help!!!!!! :rolleyes:
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AOL can be a pain to set up with some routers.

What account & protocol settings did you use in the router setup?

Try setting MTU on router to 1400.

I'd hazard a guess that it's the way you are trying to "share" your internet connection that is at fault.

Were you previously accessing your modem using USB, and then sharing that connection? If so you want to uninstall the internet sharing stuff. While you're about it uninstall dialup networking, you won't need that anymore either.

All of your PCs need to be connected to the router by means of network cards (either plugged into the router or using a wireless network adapter).

You'll also want the linksys configured to act as a DHCP server (it does by default anyhow).

If you want any further assistance, it would help if you could specify the Operating System(s) and Network Cards you are using.

IM USING WINDOWS XP, AND NO I WASNT USING A USB CONNECTION OR INTERNET SHARING IVE BEEN USING ETHERNET ONLY, I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR AOL USERNAME AND PASSWORD IN THE ROUTER CONFIG IE:"[email protected]"
ALSO PEEPS HAVE ADVISED ME TO DELETE THE AOL SOFTWARE AS THIS CAUSES CONFLICTS AND TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER ....HUH I AINT EVEN GETTING A WEBPAGE ON I.E LOL

Sponsored Links
aol-censored.JPG

(edited to keep mods happy!) :LOL:

wavetech said:
IM USING WINDOWS XP, AND NO I WASNT USING A USB CONNECTION OR INTERNET SHARING IVE BEEN USING ETHERNET ONLY, I HAVE HEARD THAT YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR AOL USERNAME AND PASSWORD IN THE ROUTER CONFIG IE:"[email protected]"
ALSO PEEPS HAVE ADVISED ME TO DELETE THE AOL SOFTWARE AS THIS CAUSES CONFLICTS AND TO USE INTERNET EXPLORER ....HUH I AINT EVEN GETTING A WEBPAGE ON I.E LOL

Yes, you need to programme your router with the master AOL account. You won't need the AOL software, unless you want to use their user account system.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you may need to set the router MTU to 1400.

Also, ninebob is not far wrong :D

Now wide awake, i've just had a rethink about this.

Isn't AOL over NTL a similar system to normal NTL where you just have to activate the modem to get connected? If this is the case, there is no username/password.

Can you describe all the connections from modem to router and from router to PC. Also, the router model will help.

Does the AOL modem work if connected directly to a PC?

post locked to prevent hi jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back