Wireless or Pointless ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
I have no knowledge on this subject and would like some advice please.
For my laptop I have just purchased a belkin notebook network card (54g , cardBus2.4ghz wireless.54mbps.) and a bt voyager 1500 wireless router.
(My mate was a tad skint and said I could have them for £40)
I am currently using a 1 meg broadband connection through a ntl cable modem.
My question is, am I likely to spend hours trying to 'go-mobile' , when I have the wrong kit etc to do it ??
Thanks for any help or advice.
ps. I have all the destructions etc, all my mate said was "make sure you've got a firewall".. ( will the wireless not go through normal brick walls then ??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ) :LOL:

Sponsored Links
As long as your NTL modem has an ethernet WAN port, it sounds like you have all you need. The Cable modem connects to the router via the ethernet WAN ports. I would then connect your laptop to the router using an ethernet patch lead, to make sure you can access the Internet before adding in the wireless bit. Make sure you use some form of encryptionon your router to prevent unauthorised access.

Igorian,
cheers for that I will begin my install soon !!!
What and where is encryption please ??
Sorry but i dont know a firewall from a worm or virus etc and suspect that I will be more vunerable on this new router setup ???

Sponsored Links
Encryption is enabled on the router and you generally access it through your web browser. If you have the manual, it should all be in there. Have a go and see how far you get. Post back if you have a specific problem. but if you search the forum, it's been well covered.

or as they say RTFM, which i didn't and my mate was round and he installed it, and he did read the manual, in my case there are options for encyption

Just one small point, isnt a voyager an ADSL router with no WAN port as such, just an RJ11 port? I could be wrong but the voyagers I've seen are.

Thats cool, I havent seen the 1500, a lot of voyagers dont have a proper wan port but just the rj11 adsl link.

Cheers for you advice chaps,
I had a quick go at it this morning but my connection speed had dropped from 100Mbps to 54Mbps, and all sites I tried would not open.

All the stuff is now safely back in the boxes it came in ! :oops:

Another time maybe. :cry:

You will only get 54Mb/s on your wireless. It's not a problem, don't give up.

I never use the wireless side of my router / modem, its all via cables

I'm going to throw this in....just for whatever's sake. I have a totally different operating system (macOSX) and the ethernet port went kaflooey on me....I bought a Belkin G wireless router and because I could not physically plug into the ethernet port, I have the wireless plugged to the modem. I could not install from the CD and frankly thought I was wasting my time....but it works....I'm totally wireless (think it, dont say it). There's more than one way to hook it up. :)

Sponsored Links
Back