wireless internet??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are connected to NTL Broadband on a cable modem (blue thing, with green lights), I have an Acer, Aspire 1642ZWLMi, Lap top.

I want to have it on a wireless thing?? (hopefully someone knows what i mean)

What do i need to get??

Exact details on please, and no fancy words!!!! feel free to treat me like a complete I.T idiot!!!!

cheers

Sponsored Links
My friend went wireless with his home network, and found it really slow. Even with the unit next to his computer, its was messing up his internet fun. He had really slow music download speeds too, and he couldnt play any online games.

Might have just been the unit he used, but thought id let you know incase you face a similar problem.

What you need is a wireless router, they are readily avilable and do need an amount of configuration.

My friend went wireless with his home network, and found it really slo
caused by either an el-cheapo, misconfiguration or poor signal

I had a netgear wireless modem router and always had problems with it. I am not necessarily blaming the hardware, it could have been my fault, but then I changed to a Belkin and it's great. Internet speeds that same as through a cable and a heck of a lot easier with a laptop. We often have 3 computers online at the same time with no probs.

Sponsored Links
ugh, IME Netgear as slightly better than belkin, though neither are what you'd call performance equipment. That said, the older belkins were relieable, the newer ones seem to all have issues.

Netgear are pants (IMHO).

If you are going to spend some money, get a Draytek router and you won't be disappointed.

You want a cable router and not an ADSL one btw. Something like this for example.

I agree, Draytek are awesome, latency is just about 0 and connection is 100%, no drop outs at all, range (wireless) is good and they are very configurable. That said, they also cost 3 or more times that of a netgear or other budget home router.

FWIW, I haven't ever had much trouble with Netgear, and their technical backup is better than average, but I've also found Draytek to be little darlings. Zyxel seem also to be stunningly reliable.

dub dub said:
NTL Broadband on a cable modem
there are basicaly 2 types of wireless routers (well theres hundereds but in terms of what you need), those with a modem built in (modem/adsl router) and those without (cable/dsl router) you need the one without and you plug your ntl modem into this.

most people (ie none ntl) need the type with the modem built in, but this is a modem for a phoneline not cable, so you need the type that you plug your own modem into.

You just need a router - plain and simple - standard network router - plain router, no modem. Just because pcworld and places sell them as a "cable router" they are a standard router, nothing difficult about it.
Sorry, a bit stressed, all these larger shops seem to be changing the names of equipment !

eggplant said:
You just need a router - plain and simple - standard network router - plain router, no modem. Just because pcworld and places sell them as a "cable router" they are a standard router, nothing difficult about it.
Sorry, a bit stressed, all these larger shops seem to be changing the names of equipment !

Yeah, but your average home user doesn't understand the concept of routing. They only need to know cable or dsl. The manufacturers themselves, advertise them in the same way. At the end of the day, they need the target audience to be able to distinguish between them, so it's not such a bad idea in this arena.

True, but I hate it when they start making up their own terms for things, my favorite hate is PATA when they refer to IDE drives, IDE isnt parallel !

IDE isnt parallel

I thought that pins/wires 3 through 18 on an IDE cable were designated as data lines so this would mean that it is parallel and not serial.

I wondered what they were going on about with PATA :confused:. IDE might have parallel data connectors but why start calling it another name i.e. PATA, whats wrong with calling it IDE??

Spark123 said:
I wondered what they were going on about with PATA :confused:. IDE might have parallel data connectors but why start calling it another name i.e. PATA, whats wrong with calling it IDE??

Or more correctly, just ATA.

Sponsored Links
Back