Wireless printers - how do they connect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, May sound like a daft question, but how does a wireless printer work, ie, connect to laptop etc. I have a laptop connected to a wireless modem.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean a wireless router connected to your phone line, and not actually a wireless modem connected to a cellular network?

Essentially your printer connects to the network the same way your laptop does, your printer will connect to the wireless router and be assigned an IP address. Add the printer on your laptop and you're set, just follow the manufacturers instructions.

If you do have a wireless modem then you'd have to set this up as an ad-hoc wireless connection, and your laptop would have to have 802.11b/g support or you'd have to buy an additional card/dongle.

If you connect to the internet via a modem/router attached to a BT phone line, then you're ok. If you connect to the internet via a wireless modem attached to your Virgin Media cable line, then you're also ok. For both of these just stick the CD that comes with the printer into your laptop and follow the instructions. If you connect via a wireless dongle from one of the mobile phone operators, then you're still ok and you can connect but it's less straightforward.

If you connect to the internet via a modem/router attached to a BT phone line, then you're ok. If you connect to the internet via a wireless modem attached to your Virgin Media cable line, then you're also ok. For both of these just stick the CD that comes with the printer into your laptop and follow the instructions. If you connect via a wireless dongle from one of the mobile phone operators, then you're still ok and you can connect but it's less straightforward.

Thanks for repeating what I said.

Sponsored Links
No problem, just putting what you said in plainer language as I thought it might help the OP - can't remember the last time I heard anyone refer to a "cellular network"....

It's the correct terminology.

The OP hasn't come back asking for further explanation so I fail to see the need for the clarification or excessive condescension at this stage.

It may be the correct terminology, I haven't disputed that, but it may not be universally clear to all readers. If you look back at some of the OP's previous posts you'll see that he is not "PC savvy" (his words, not mine), hence my attempt to pur your correct information into something more like layman's terms. The fact that he hasn't acknowledged your post should (or mine for that matter) not be taken as an indication that it has been understood and accepted - it's just an indication that he hasn't replied...

Not sure what was excessive or condescending about anything I have said previously. If I suggested that maybe you'd gotten out of bed the wrong side this morning, well, that might be considered to be condescending, but simply pointing out that a technical term you used isn't used in everyday conversation was in no way intended to be condescending or offensive in any other way to anyone.

N.B. Dictionary definition of condescension - "voluntary assumption of equality with a person regarded as inferior" Please be aware that I in no way regard you as inferior. Nor do I regard you as superior. I don't regard you at all, because I don't know you. Quite how questioning someone's use of technical terms can be implied to consider them inferior, I just don't know. But, as already stated, that was not and is not my intention.

Please accept my apologies for trying to join with you in helping the OP - I thought the purpose of the forum was to help posters with their questions, and that was my only thought. Please also accept my apologies for not noticing that you'd peed up against this post. Now I now that it's marked as your territory, I'll walk away gracefully. It's all yours. I'm not interested in turf wars.

To the OP - I hope that one way or another you've got a useful answer to your question.

There was no need to reiterate what had already been said without reason, the original poster had not replied therefore there was no reason.

I don't have a problem if you've got something original to say, simply repeating a previous post isn't constructive.

I was implying that you were being condescending to the original poster, not to me.

There was no need to reiterate what had already been said without reason, the original poster had not replied therefore there was no reason.

I don't have a problem if you've got something original to say, simply repeating a previous post isn't constructive.

I was implying that you were being condescending to the original poster, not to me.

I didn't repeat your post. I simply sought to explain it using layman's terms, the motivation for which I've already explained, but you don't accept. We'll have to disagree on that, which I'm content to do. I'm prepared to leave it to the OP to take whatever information he wishes from this post - it is his, after all.

"constructive" - constructing or tending to construct; helping to improve; promoting further development or advancement

Is continuing this discussion constructive? Without wishing to appear condescending, I doubt that the OP would view it as constructive. What does it improve? What are you seeking to advance? So why do you have to carry this on? You've made your point, I've made mine. Let's agree to differ. Life's too short.

I really am walking away now, if you want the last word then help yourself.

Many thanks for the replies and input.

Went to Tesco, there was a w/less reduced from £129 down to £49, same price as wired, so thought had nothing to lose.

Put the CD in and it more or less set itself up. All works fine and I am a bit more enlightened.

Thanks again.

No problem, just putting what you said in plainer language as I thought it might help the OP - can't remember the last time I heard anyone refer to a "cellular network"....

Yeah - 'Cellular' - in the '80's in America! No need for Americanisms here. Flame war OVER for you two! BEHAVE!!! And I'm not even a mod! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back