Application for approval of details reserved by condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Continuing on the saga of trying to build an extension where the neighbours have us under the microscope and complain to the council every step of the way. Our planning approval, probably in line with the majority, lists a condition, "MATERIALS - APPROVED" "External - material to match existing" "Roof - roof tiles to match existing".

As we are rebuilding the whore roof I have chosen a particular roof tile which I like, and same with the bricks. The bricks match very closely, I would say 95%, the roof tiles match in colour (black) but not in material or shape (the old rood tiles were wavy concrete and I am using clay).

To avoid problems in future, especially with the neighbours, I have made an application as per title, "Application for approval of details reserved by condition" listing the roof tiles and bricks I want to use on the build, with links to the websites and photos etc.

Today, many weeks later, I was called by the case officer who asked me to withdraw the application. He said many things of which:

"It is up to me to prove the materials match not of them to approve"
"It is too much work for him, I would have to send him the make and type of existing materials as evidence and it is too much work"
"He has never had to deal with such an application before"
"I must send an email to ask the council to withdraw my application".

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
As the officer advised, and get tiles that match as closely as possible the existing.

Blup

That's interesting. My planning application had a condition on materials because I gave choices on the application. To discharge the condition I had to send details of the materials and they then approved and discharged.

I'm sure our council has a form specifically for discharging a condition with a small fee. Think it was £30

edit https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/appPDF/F2360Form027_england_en.pdf

edit2 I think this is what you have done. I would ask them to process the application or withdraw the condition.

Last edited:
Withdraw, get a refund, don't bother getting approval - no body does and the council do not enforce such trifles, build the damn thing.

Sponsored Links
That condition is standard across Planning approvals. You would not need to formally discharge anything via an “Approval of details reserved by a condition” application. The only time you would is if the condition was worded as such... “Prior to the commencement of works, details of the proposed materials should be submitted to and approved by the LPA, etc...”. If you were looking to re-cover the roof in slates for example, you’d look to go down the route of submitting a “Variation of Condition” application. But if you are proposing a tile and the existing are tiles (concrete or clay), then just crack on with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back