Two separate applications for the same plot - house and garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back in spring I applied to have the house extended significantly and its roof raised from 4.8m to 6.3m. That application was approved.

In autumn I applied for the detached garage to be extended significantly and a pitched roof to be built over it at a height of 4.5m. That application was also approved.

Now I am trying to amend the application for the garage by increasing the roof pitch and the height from 4.5m to 5.0m.

I have written a supporting letter asking the planner(s) to view this amendment in conjunction with the approved application for the house extension. In that way the roof of the garage at 5.0m is well below the roof of the house at 6.3m. But if the planners look at the existing house, its roof is only 4.8m and I am trying to get the garage to be at 5.0m!

What do you guys think, do I have a point? This is a multi-development, and the pieces blend together - maybe I should have applied for both gasrage and house in one common application? Even if I had, I know full well, they cannot force you to build everything, for example you can build the garage and never build the house (my neighbour case in point, he has built a gigantic tripple garage with 6.0m roof, but has not built the house that was on the same application).

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
They can't consider one application on the basis of another thing which may or may not get built.

In any case, that's a material alteration and will be considered similar to a reapplication along with renotification of neighbours.

OK, because it is "material" it means I need a full application, got it.

But I would like them to consider it along side the house extension, which is already approved, because the extended garage fits better the new/proposed house than the existing house.

What should I do? Re-apply in full for both house and garage? In that case, if they refuse, does my previously approved house extension still count, or do I lose it?

Dunno why you split them to start with.Also don't know why you're running 2 threads on the same issue.

Re the garage roof height change, yes 500mm is a material amendment. Main thing planners will consider is how it fits with existing structures- if there are loads of similar height similar buildings then it'll probably pass, especially if it is centre ridge rather than monopitch (ridge doesn't overbear as much on the neighbours) . You could put both house and garage on the same application as one scheme, if that whole scheme gets knocked back then (as far as I am aware and subject to 3 year commencement of works) then your original permissions will still be valid.

Sponsored Links
I have written a supporting letter asking the planner(s) to view this amendment in conjunction with the approved application for the house extension. In that way the roof of the garage at 5.0m is well below the roof of the house at 6.3m. But if the planners look at the existing house, its roof is only 4.8m and I am trying to get the garage to be at 5.0m!
Perhaps some imaginative people may have the view that you could carry out the work to the garage and not the main house, resulting in a height disparity whereby the garage ends up a lot taller than the house.
Mebbe?

Perhaps some imaginative people may have the view that you could carry out the work to the garage and not the main house, resulting in a height disparity whereby the garage ends up a lot taller than the house.
Mebbe?

Of course yes. My neighbour (a few doors up) has done exactly that, applied for a very large extension to a house and also to build a new tripple garage, there is nothing like it around here, the garage has the largest roof I have ever seen on a garage, it dwarfs everything else, and yes, he has not built the house, so all we have now is a garage sitting on its own like a sore thumb.

But the planning dept cannot force you to complete your work, can they?

But the planning dept cannot force you to complete your work, can they?
What they can do is include conditions. This would mean that, should you go down a certain route construction wise and don't meet the conditions, then yes, they can take action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back