Applying Blanchon Hard Wax Oil - Couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

After reading so many good words about Blanchon Hard Wax Oil I decided to try it on my Parquet floor.

I have just re-sanded about 50sq m of Pitch Pine Parquet and applied the first coat of Blanchon Hard Wax Oil and I am having some doubts.

I applied using a foam roller and tried to ensure a nice thin coat, I worked about 2 sq m at a time. I then used a cotton cloth to buff the area up. The issue is very quickly my buffing cloth was very 'wet' with the Oil and no longer buffing. I don't think it is a disaster as the first coat looks nice and even but the buffing was not working as well as i would like

So how do I tackle the second coat?

Do I just need more buffing cloths?
Should I leave the Oil to 'dry' for longer before buffing?
I am tempted to hire a buffing machine for the second coat?

I hope it will all be fine just looking for some reassurance and guidance.

Thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
You have to apply the second coat within 48 hours of applying the first coat. The first coat can give the result you describe, apply the second coat the same way - apply, rub out per section of the floor. Then, when the whole floor is done like that with the second coat you can go over it with a buffing machine to finish it of even better. Take care you get the correct pad, not too coarse.

First coat was applied late last night. It is also a bit cold in the house at the moment. The first coat looked good this morning but still felt very very slightly 'tacky' in places.

Planning to get the fire/heating on this evening and then apply the second coat first thing Wednesday morning and I will hire a buffer to finish the whole thing off. This will be 36 hours after the first coat.

Thanks very much for the advice

Ben

WoodYouLike

I am slightly concerned! I have just checked and the first coat is still slightly tacky. If I walk with socks on I can feel it.

Maybe I am over-worrying but would rather check. Is this normal?

Ben

Sponsored Links
Could just have been the temperature when you applied it. To be honest, it is quite difficult to make terrible mistakes with HardWaxOil ;)

Try the second coat in a small area if you are very worried and indeed make sure the temp is a bit higher than before.

WoodYouLike

Thanks very much for the reassurance. I have never used the product before and have 50 sq m, so don't want to screw it up.

I have the wood burning stove on now and will run it for most of tonight and ensure the first coat is well dried out. Then planning to do the second coat early tomorrow morning and use the buffer I have hired.

Thanks again

Ben

To bring this one to a close.

I applied the second coat last night. I used a number of buffing rags (old towels) to buff as I went. I think this meant I put a much lighter coat on the second time and it seem to have soaked in.

I then went over the whole floor with a floor buffer. It looks really good now.

How long before I can put furniture down etc?

Ben

After you see the floor has dried, but carefully - so normally this evening or tomorrow morning. Heavy furniture that rests on the floor (bottom-plate) and rugs: wait 10 days until the HWO has fully cured

Just moved back into the room and put the furniture back in.

The Hard Wax Oil looks great a very nice finish.

Thanks for all of the advice

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back