Arc welder

L

Lochy

Can anyone help please, I'm looking for a recommendation for an arc welder 130-150 Amps. Budget under £100.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Machine Mart do one for £93.98 (CW145TN) - or if you could get a non vat day, the CW165TN is just about there.....
You can pick some good gear up from auctions if you're lucky - I think these very basic machines could prove to be a disappointment.
John :)

What would you recommend then John for around £150. I don't need much more than about 130 Amps for the first job I'm doing, but who knows what will be required in the future. Thanks mate.

I may be talking my usual nonsense here, but Tools by Post (House of Hastings) have some fabulous offers on SIP welders, and weldingsupplies direct do a good one called the Arc250s.
Either firm are great to talk to and the delivery is quick. Go for a fan cooled welder, 3mm rods and with money left over, consider an auto darkening helmet...one of the slickest bits of kit ever.
I can't knock the Clarke stuff though --I have a fan cooled MIG too which has been great. If you intend to weld thin metal at some time then MIG is the way to go.
Just a tip when you get started...warm up the rods before striking the arc, or if you go MIG, don't let the wire get rusty (like me!)

Sponsored Links
depends how much use you're going to give it, what sort of thickness of material, I bought a fairly cheap one many years ago, supposedly 140 amps, would struggle to cope with anything more than 2.5mm rods, can take 3.25 but with rubbish penetration, duty cycles not too clever either, with an oil cooled welder I can weld all day with 2.5 rods with machine set at around 90 amps

Thats basically what I am getting at...there are loads of welders available for less than £100, but its the open circuit voltage that makes the difference. Get the highest voltage possible and the arc will just about strike itself, and will be simple to maintain. Bring back my old Oxford - sold long ago during hard times!

Thanks gentlemen very informative. After using Oxy/Act for pipe welding for years. I want to try something else. But was told arc was the best to go on to. Cheap kit & good results.

Personally I'd hire one if I were you then buy when you know what you need.

Thanks gentlemen very informative. After using Oxy/Act for pipe welding for years. I want to try something else. But was told arc was the best to go on to. Cheap kit & good results.

Cheap it is, and very successful too....but if you are going to tackle steel less than 2mm is definitely a MIG.
Like you, I loved the oxy gear most of all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back