architect/technician what way forward for the industry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having just been made redundant (March) and thinking of setting up as a 'one man band' I am interested in the outside worlds opinion with regards to the pros and cons of using an architect or technician for work (as this will obviously affect me!!). I have all the necessary qualifications and registrations which are not available for non architects - should I keep paying to have these?? Will it affect my chances of securing work if I don't? Likewise with PI insurance?
In my job I worked with six other architects and a couple of technicians who were employed mainly as CAD monkeys.
I can see advantages of using technicians as they are normally cheap, but surely you get what you pay for?
Anyway, this isn't supposed to cause an argument, I am just interested in the common opinion as I have been leading a sheltered life under the employment of a practice.
Many thanks all. :)

Sponsored Links
Anyone sensible probably won't care whether you're registered or not, as long as you're competitive you'll get work as long as you can find it. As you've no doubt read on the other thread you added to I too was made redundant and have started out on my own although I didn't hang around for 5 months before trying. It takes time before work starts coming your way. PI is all well and good but you have to carry on paying it for years even if you get a perm job elsewhere. If you're working from home there's no reason you shouldn't be competitive with a techy unless you think you're superior and should earn more for doing the same? I've found domestic customers are happy with A3 drawings which avoids buying a big plotter, one that can scan is useful too. You'll need some equipment for surveying, height stick, disto, camera etc so there is an initial outlay. Don't be afraid to contact clients from your old practice, contact everyone you know in trade and get the word out. You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder tbh.

I was in a similar position 9 years ago. I am a chartered building surveyor but a lot of my work now is design and development. I have a lot of clients who are property developers - some small, some big. But I also still do quite a bit of what I would call surveying work; house surveys, maintenance surveys and specs, building regs work, etc. and I also do a fair bit of commercial work as well; dilapidations, maintenance, condition surveys, etc.

So for me it depends what sort of work you will be looking for. If you want the glamorous ladedah architectural work then you will definitely need a swish architectural type shop front. If you are prepared to rough it a bit and be fairly flexible in what you do then I would say you would have to be going pretty wrong not to make a decent living.

As for PI insurance, it's essential but needn't be that expensive. I pay about £1500 per year and run-off cover for 6 years would be a one off payment of 2 1/2 times annual premium. Not nice but I don't anticipate needing that option.

Professional letters you could possibly manage without but a lot of the work I get on the phone people specifically ask if I am RICS and presumably would not instruct me if I were not. And I certainly would not get the commercial work without the letters. So it's a question of cost over benefit really. Mine costs me about a grand a year and seems worthwhile to me.

In 9 years I have always been busy. The last 6 to 12 months have been the quietest ever but I am still busy and will be until at least Spring next year.

thanks for the advice freddy. You seem to talk some sense (sometimes).
I guess its just depressing loosing your job given that its out of your hands....
Judging from your other post, you also seem to have a chip on your shou :eek: lder (BTW)

Sponsored Links
jeds, many thanks. finally someone that talks my language.
Being a professional I too think PI is vital and can't believe others have questioned that. Actually, anyone providing work should have it in my opinion.
Not having PI would leave me wide open. I have a goal of getting back to doing larger scale stuff and therefore with take some out. It gives potential clients the reassurance that I am talking it seriously (as opposed to cutting corners)
Where abouts are you Jeds? Maybe we can pool skills and clear up!!
I was lucky when I was made redundant that I had a really good package and didn't need to run head long into scratching around and going off half arsed.
You seem to have the opposite opinion to freddymercurystwit which is obviously why I started this thread. Just wanted some constructive comment which you have really helpfully provided (as opposed to half truths).
thanks again Jeds

If this takes off for me I'll inevitably need PI etc, however if I get a perm job next week, next month or whenever low and behold I'll be paying PI for the next 6 years or whatever, you do the math.

Aren't you worried about making an error within your drawing package which results in additional cost to your clients who may then choose to claim against you? Errors within working drawings do happen.

I believe that if you are starting out on your own you need all the necessary insurances to be in place otherwise you are starting off on the wrong footing. Start as you mean to go on is what I'm saying I guess.

I'm guessing that most of your work is 'cash in hand' below the tax mans radar as well then?

I'm not phschic, I think I'd have to be pretty arrogant to assume that it will all work out and that this time next year I'll have 6 months worth of work ahead of me. I'll see how it goes, if I'm busy in a few months I'll go legit then. The tax man has had plenty out of me in the past, I have no quarms about keeping some for myself for the time being. It does concern me not having PI and being fully legit tbh but it doesn't keep me awake at night, the thought of not being able to pay the mortgage does however. If you have the luxury of a good redundancy package thats great but I got less than a months wages so the time for messing about is not available. I have savings but I'll be damned if I'm gonna blow that paying for the mortgage while I wait in vain for a job to pop through the letterbox.

I, as a builder of domestic extensions, have worked on many jobs designed by a plethora of different 'pens'.

There is one individual who stands out, and he is a retired architect. Fortunately he understands how the building will be built, i.e. from a builders point of view - very, very rare! He shows blown-up details at complicated thru' sections, using thought processes as if he were actually building it himself.

Priceless.

However, i have seen architects drawings that could have been drawn better by my niece. Any clown can copy and paste the latest reg's etc, and domestic extensions don't need a genius to get the proportions right.

It is my conclusion that, so long as the building 'fits' and works for the client and the drawings provided are a descriptive representation that the client, the builder and building control can all refer to, then you are on to a winner.

*c&p from 'other' post.

I can see advantages of using technicians as they are normally cheap, but surely you get what you pay for?

Do you mean, like, engage an Architect for exorbitant fees, and then the Architect gets one of his technicians to do all the drawing work and detailing?

Technicians are not "cheap" but rather Architects are expensive

IMO, without being rude, you need to come down to earth and stop thinking like an Architect if you are going to get involved in the mundane work of typical extensions and alterations

I would say that 8/10 drawings from Architects for small scale works actually lack the detail required for a builder to accurately price and build from. But they do have some nice trees and people drawn on them.

Your first priority is to get some customers and build up a client base

I have also lost count of the number of times I get called "the Architect" and have and to deny it and ask for an apology :p . Basically no-one on small jobs cares if you are RIBA or ARB - the drawings do the talking and generate the repeat work, but the customer does not know the difference and does not care

maybe it just comes down to confidence?
I don't think trying to set up a business is arrogant, I am confident that it will work for me.
It comes down to how you project yourself to people and judging from your'fly by night' attitude, not withstanding the aggressive nature of your comments on this and other threads that you seem to have, I would have to agree that you'll probably not have six months work ahead of you.
Anyhow, I'll keep checking on your posts and see how busy you are. Looking at the last three years worth, you don't seem to have had much to do, especially given that the majority were posted during normal office hours. If you can't keep your mind on your work within a normal office environment then how do you expect to work under your own steam from your bedroom?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Priceless!!! just fell off my chair :!:

I am confident that it will work for me.
Yet you've spent 5 months thinking about it?

Why is my attitude towards potential work and new clients fly by night? Do you know me? :confused: I post at all times throughout the day, I also did about a years worth of free overtime at my last practice in the 5 years I was there.

You've just joined this forum and immediately display an arrogant and critical attitude.

You want to debate a topic but then concentrate on personal comment, irrelevant to the subject?

You certainly must be RIBA :rolleyes: and if that is your attitude, then its bread and cheese for you until you get back into your comfort zone of being looked after in a big practice away from normality

I think me and Woody have summed it up, no need for any more bickering, now where is Shytalkz................:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back