Architects Drawings

Perhaps the architect used the website's in-built application for drawing the red lines. FWIW, I usually download the digital versions, which are a little more expensive (£21.00 + VAT, I think), and I present this cost as just that on my Invoices - so no mark up. Obviously, time is spent collating and preparing this data, and that charge is instead incorporated into the hours shown on my fee proposal. It's a statutory requirement, but otherwise, for domestic projects, the whole exercise is futile as many of the LPA's with which I work just upload their own maps anyway when the application is validated. That said, I don't think charging £37.00 for this service is particularly excessive (but maybe a little excessive).

Sponsored Links
Well you generally get what you pay for but you know that already! ;)

Technically, I got less than I paid for
Perhaps the architect used the website's in-built application for drawing the red lines. FWIW, I usually download the digital versions, which are a little more expensive (£21.00 + VAT, I think), and I present this cost as just that on my Invoices - so no mark up. Obviously, time is spent collating and preparing this data, and that charge is instead incorporated into the hours shown on my fee proposal. It's a statutory requirement, but otherwise, for domestic projects, the whole exercise is futile as many of the LPA's with which I work just upload their own maps anyway when the application is validated. That said, I don't think charging £37.00 for this service is particularly excessive (but maybe a little excessive).

My point is, there doesn't appear to be any collecting or collating, or a red line.

https://www.ukplanningmaps.com/prices/

Have a look, 2 hectares map is what I got. Click for an example, mine is exactly like that.

The drawing is exactly as sent from, UK Planning maps. To charge £37 for that is completely excessive. You can't charge more than the map itself for just being someone else who bought the map. I can't go and get a cup of tea for a friend which costs £1 then say, 'there you go mate, give me £7'. This so called architect hasn't done anything other than buy the map on my behalf.

Sponsored Links
I would be more bothered that he sold you one sheet of paper (cost about 1 penny?) for about £450.00....

Almost 45,000% for a bloody piece of paper!

Yeah as there wasn't a paper size mentioned I assumed an A3 for elevations floor plans and a section, so I just doubled the 0.5p (a little crude I know :p)

Ah, I forgot the requirement that OS plans be submitted in section and elevation too! ;)

One of the more funnier threads I have read in a long time. Good to see Woody still at the top of his game in 2016.

I'm with the OP on this one though. My architectural technician just charged me the cost he paid for the OS download, some £15?

As for the drawings, we had one good architect who did my parents plans for a rear and rear-side garage bedroom extension without construction details for £700, builders had no problems with it.

For my house which was a total rebuild, my old fashioned pen and paper architect produced several versions (for me) to get us through planning and meeting with the council and then another version with constructions details (but not bill of quantities etc) and I paid a pretty sum of money for that in excess of £5k.

I think it really depends on the size of jobs and the technicality involved as to whether you would need technical drawings. But I'm just a homeowner whose been lurking here for two years.

Thankfully I have some great transparent builders who are very accommodating.

Last edited:
Technically, I got less than I paid for

Thing is, you not really sure what you paid for - you only know what you paid and what you got. Even now, there is no (and can be no) certainty as to what you were getting, you're just looking at the bill and starting to invent things you thought you should be getting. I can faithfully promise you as a consumer of services supplied by others, that what you feel you should get for your money will be different to what they feel they have to provide for their fees. I get the same, having been handed a quote of £11000 to fit underfloor heating throughout my house I did it myself. At the end of the job I knew why I'd been quoted that, because I wouldn't have quoted much different if my neighbour had asked me to do it. Because i was prepared to do it myself, I've laid out about 3k on materials and get to reap the benefit but it was long and hard going to do it the way I chose because I'd specified nearly the most awkward way imaginable.

Drawing plans isn't hard (in my opinion), you could have done it yourself for less money, no? But you're forgetting the hours (and by that I mean DAYS) of time you'll need to learn the software, cope with the missus changing her mind constantly, and then get lost reading building regs to ensure that you don't bring a flight of stairs straight down into the edge of a door or fire hazard room.
When you pay an archi-type for his input, it's not just the lines on the paper you're getting - it's his experience, knowledge and flair you're getting. You too can acquire these if you're sufficiently motivated but you haven't been up to now (and if you're taking issue over paltry amounts such as these, just wait until the reality check of actually building your extension comes along..)

It's better that this stripping of naivety comes along now while the sums are small. For every step you need an accurate spec so you know how much you're paying for exactly what you're getting and the guy delivering essentially knows when he's reached the goal and needs to stop delivering. Decide whether you're going to do something yourself or let someone else do it, be realistic about the cost versus the worth of doing so and you'll have a much easier time

Note: I say these things not to be contentious, but because I'd rather you benefit from this experience

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back