Architrave Switch to Full Sized

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies guys. Event the squabbling.... I managed to catch it. :p

I think there are two possible reasons an architrave switch was installed.

1. Space. The kitchen units and wiring were both installed by the same building when the house was built. From the edge of the last unit the corner of the wall there is about 12". So the sparks may have been told to do that to give the kitchen fitters more room.

2. Mechanical. As it is very close to the edge of the wall, having a 25mm deep back box might be risky. I'm no structural engineer so I don't know. I know there is zones where joists can be drilled for pipes etc to be run, so I assume there are rules around chiseling out walls.

I have decided to play it safe and wait for a switch to arrive. In the mean time I have removed the switch and isolated the power to allow me to repair the crap plaster work.... PS the minging yellow from Only Fools and Horses Chinese restaurant episode has now gone! I'm sure the previous owners were blind!

Some one asked for a picture, I thought I has created a post with it, but here it is.

This is what I have ordered to replace it, fingers crossed it will fit direct into the back box.

https://www.ukelectricalsupplies.co..._medium=email&utm_campaign=Order Confirmation

As the other switches are the LAP chrome and black from screw fix.

Cheers
Ash

EM-1lSgHv-5odAjgFM4OA_A8Q-EVNVE7f-ikbqaFRiyCSy3TKZu9pqkXiT1-7pBdonEpjpGXV-f7GznRlbchdXF5rksBk9KfJp8Vb5gRSoshoCahaVLW9MqpTvvWQ5nu6FNE3Oey9Em2JFHo20pHZwB9geaj9ojsPMS12KR0HEE3NllpoTpjVOvJAQQlumARZtVZSqGXnX2O7IYUSm7P9lM7SCz9_Tcy8SdCJjk4ZftB8H-MVl6Gk-JcOjg9LIF_veUcyaZ35R5IlCzHDDLUdQQ3Emi997KBffev5YYrh11OKJXlDhUJkNiNtrRVdSotMRidNXsEpeJTDvB5jUlGlOIhdn-Sfoo3MOGwc9mDe29vN87uZ0VFPY6ezsGaJMQp_W22Qhk0PYzkpkMXGamnC_vqrY44ozfyRh_DnqvVoDDj9bKihA-NV6Nikcz-QqccEAl0dAgJGOg7ynPYTg-9fbHFBJ16tG1mI7PM0owDPQxwOfgBCRp9QQ3R9mRGyliFqUMKVtpAIcxU9o4ub5Otls8ZXMEWhAuQCu6iDtvTVQm8ARjXD2K1YSg3j0o-PUuOzNmy_Kc8g7EJ6c3W-5nfRcQYi2iNBRNxUQ08upgT=w712-h949-no

Is the white line a line of sealant next to a carcase?

Yes it is. The picture is not very good at showing the dimensions. From the edge of the wall the edge of the oven carcass is about 120mm, so there would be room for a standard switch but it would be cosy. I've run a knew bead of caulk as the previous owners could not paint for **** and has never heard of making tape. This way I can get a nice fresh clean line now I have cleaned the paint from the cabinet. Thankfully it was water based immulsion.

Sponsored Links
Ah, OK.
That may well be why then.

A 1 gang plastic switch is 86 x 86mm, but at the corner will be a bit of galv right angle beading with a mesh either side. From memory, the mesh is around 25mm wide.

So, it would be a fight tit.

If you can live with the slight mismatch and don't want a dimmer in the future (not because they are unavailable but are very dear in a metal finish), I would leave it as is.

... but at the corner will be a bit of galv right angle beading with a mesh either side. From memory, the mesh is around 25mm wide.
Indeed. I think the angle plus the mesh is usually something approaching 50mm - so could well have got in the way.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. I think the angle plus the mesh is usually something approaching 50mm - so could well have got in the way.

Kind Regards, John

Yep, I agree... the tin snips might have come out :p.... I think putting a single gang switch in while is possible, it would have probably been very faffy. The saving grace is this switch is not in eye shot of another switch so a slight difference will not be easy to detect. I think only I will know.

Thanks for the help and opinions guys.

Yep, I agree... the tin snips might have come out :p....
Indeed - I nearly mentioned the tin snips myself :) Mind you, it's dangerously close to the edge, so I couldn't blame whoever did it for using an architrave switch - I might well have done the same myself

(I recently had to do that for my daughter, after she decided to re-hang a door t'other way around - in that case there was literally not enough room for a standard faceplate - so it was an architrave switch, a switch in a silly place, a pull switch or nothing!)

Kind Regards, John

Guys. My new chrome arcitrave switch arrived last week and I've come to fit it today. The back box is about 5mm longer add a few mm wider. Do these type of switches not follow a standard form factor like full sized 1 gang switches? Ideally i just wanted to repalce the switch. I'm happy to remove the additional brick. Just more wondering.

Most of the plastic switches are a standard size. Many fancy, metal/flat plate switches and sockets are a few mill larger.
This can cause all sorts of anguish for the unwary - as you have found out:mrgreen:

EDIT Just spotted that its your back box that is bigger. Not seen one of those, but I only go out on thursdays to cash me giro. **cough, rasp**

Just had a look online.

The box you have is a WA571. It is listed as 33W x 86H x 25D.

I have looked up three other architrave box sizes, cannot remember what brand.

They all differ slightly, but not as much as yours does.

27 x 75 x 27

28 x 74 x 28

28 x 73 x 30

[Ahem] Can you measure yours? :oops:

Guys. My new chrome arcitrave switch arrived last week and I've come to fit it today. The back box is about 5mm longer add a few mm wider. Do these type of switches not follow a standard form factor like full sized 1 gang switches? Ideally i just wanted to repalce the switch. I'm happy to remove the additional brick. Just more wondering.

Have you actually tried fitting the switch?

I'm sure you have, but thought I should ask.

What are the distances between the fixing holes where the faceplate screws go?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back