Arcing sound from plug socket switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket in the bedroom and every time I turn the switches off for the tv I can hear a arcing noise from one of the switches so I plan on changing the socket but is it best to use a single or double pole socket and what's the best brand to buy.

Sponsored Links
It does not really normally matter whether you use SP (single pole) or DP (double pole). But in theory DP would be safer.
I use BG or click normally. But MK, Crabtree etc.. are fine.

TV have their own switches so why are you turning the socket off? But if you must turn off the TV first. A new socket may do the same.

TV have their own switches so why are you turning the socket off? But if you must turn off the TV first. A new socket may do the same.
The tv don't have a switch so I have to put it on standby then turn it off at the socket.

Sponsored Links
I have a double socket in the bedroom and every time I turn the switches off for the tv I can hear a arcing noise from one of the switches so I plan on changing the socket but is it best to use a single or double pole socket and what's the best brand to buy.
Have a look and see how long the cables are behind the socket, and whether there's any slack that can be pulled through. Maybe post a photo.

Reason being that if they are very short and there is no slack then you might need to make sure you buy a socket with the terminals in the same places as the existing one if you are to be able to connect the wires.

socket switches are able to make and break full load current.

For most makes that is true but only for non-inductive loads.

From the tech spec for MK plate switches "" Current rating: 20 amps – no derating when used on fluorescent or inductive loads""

The same "no derating" comment is not applied to MK 13 amp sockets

The same "no derating" comment is not applied to MK 13 amp sockets
I might, of course, be wrong, but I would be rather surprised if BS1363 allows a switched 13A socket to have a switch which is not able to safely (and without damage) break a highly inductive 13A load. Does anyone know?

Kind Regards, John

upload_2018-9-30_17-11-53.png

upload_2018-9-30_17-13-0.png

Interesting. Thanks. I suppose the requirement for it to be able to break a "substantially non-inductive" current of 17A, means that it would able to break an "appreciably inductive" (but not necessarily 'highly inductive') one of 13A.

Dunno.

Or an extremely inductive load of a couple of amps? It's a TV power supply remember..

Indeed. In any event, I think that most SMPSUs have PF correction these days, so probably not a significantly inductive load at all.

The tv don't have a switch so I have to put it on standby then turn it off at the socket.

Why? It will miss all the overnight updates. Modern TVs take negligible power in standby and are meant to be left in standby to receive the updates. Most countries don't have switches on their sockets.

It is not the magnitude of the current being broken but the magnitude of the stored energy on the inductor when the current is broken and the back EMF created when the nagnetic field is collapsing. The resultant arc between the switch contacts is the main cause of contact wear and premature failure when supplying inductive loads

It is not the magnitude of the current being broken but the magnitude of the stored energy on the inductor when the current is broken and the back EMF created when the nagnetic field is collapsing.
Yes, but that's really just a play on words, since the 'magnitude of stored energy' (stored in magnetic field) is, itself, determined by the magnitude of the current.

In fact, since that stored energy is given by LI²/2, the fact that it is a function of I², rather than just I, means that the stored energy increases rapidly as current increases.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back