Arctic or HO7RN-F extension lead?

Sponsored Links
4mm² is already planned in OP.

This is not the way to do the job. Any flexible extention lead witth degrade quickly as after a few times moving it in an out of use it will rapidly become a bore and left in place.
The correct cable is steel wired armoured, which will cost a bit more but much longer lasting. It can be laid on the surface just like the flex will become.

... It can be laid on the surface just like the flex will become.

I thought you had to bury SWA 450-600mm below the surface with sand and marker tape and all that stuff? Neither my back nor my wallet is up for that. However, if it's okay to leave SWA on the surface, I'll do that (as I have about 20m of 3 core 6mm SWA in the garage)!

Sponsored Links
I thought you had to bury SWA 450-600mm below the surface with sand and marker tape and all that stuff? Neither my back nor my wallet is up for that.
That's an option, but not compulsory. Armoured cable can be installed in many places, and unlike rubber flex it's designed to be used outdoors.
No it doesn't need to be buried, but it does need to be used/installed in a safe manner, ie not in a way that is likely to be a hazard to us or liable to it getting damaged.
However, if it's okay to leave SWA on the surface, I'll do that (as I have about 20m of 3 core 6mm SWA in the garage)!
.Looks like your solution, don't forget to earth the armour if you still intend using plus/sockets.

...don't forget to earth the armour if you still intend using plus/sockets.

If I'm leaving the SWA on the ground, I won't bother with plugs and sockets - they're just another point of failure and water ingress! I'll go through the wall and put earthed glands on the inside.

If I'm leaving the SWA on the ground, I won't bother with plugs and sockets - they're just another point of failure and water ingress! .
They should not be a point of failure!
Properly installed SWA glands are designed not to allow water ingress.

They should not be a point of failure!
Properly installed SWA glands are designed not to allow water ingress.

It's the plugs and sockets that are the point of failure, not the glands (which will now be indoors). I always prefer to minimise the number of connections, if I possibly can. And the money saved on IP67 connectors and the interlocked socket outlet will almost cover the additional cost of the SWA . Definitely a much better (and easier) way of doing it. (And no concerns about unshuttered industrial sockets... )

They should not be a point of failure! Properly installed SWA glands are designed not to allow water ingress.
They are designed to prevent water ingress into the enclosure to which they are attached, but do not (and are not designed to) prevent water ingress into the SWA from within the enclosure.

As I recently pointed out, if one has an SWA gland on the bottom of an outdoor enclosure (which does not have adequate drainage holes), then if water gets into the enclosure in can run into the SWA, with the potential eventual result of destruction of the armour by corrosion.

Kind Regards, John

I think it's probably a ('male') 'power inlet' attached to the building that were talking about ..
... which presumably means that the need for shuttering/interlocking/whatever would relate to the trailing ('female') whatever-one calls-it - and, as you imply, such an animal may well not exist.

Kind Regards, John
If that requirement applies to trailing sockets then surely that would mean that C13 and C15 and in fact pretty much every kind of detachable mains lead would be non-compliant.

If that requirement applies to trailing sockets then surely that would mean that C13 and C15 and in fact pretty much every kind of detachable mains lead would be non-compliant.
In common-sense terms, perhaps yes, but not 'non-compliant with BS7671', since such trailing sockets and leads are not usually within the scope of BS7671.

However, of more interest/relevance are things like this (and modular variants thereof) which, if part of an electrical installation, would be within the scope of BS7671 and, if not shuttered, non-compliant with it.

upload_2022-1-15_16-39-17.png

Returning to common sense, the apertures of C13/C15 female connectors are pretty small, and one would certainly have to 'poke something small into it' to achieve contact with life parts. A 32A (or larger) female 60309 connector is perhaps a little more worrying, since the apertures are much larger, and the 'life parts' not all that deep within them.

Kind Regards, John

In common-sense terms, perhaps yes, but not 'non-compliant with BS7671', since such trailing sockets and leads are not usually within the scope of BS7671.

However, of more interest/relevance are things like this (and modular variants thereof) which, if part of an electrical installation, would be within the scope of BS7671 and, if not shuttered, non-compliant with it.

View attachment 257507

Returning to common sense, the apertures of C13/C15 female connectors are pretty small, and one would certainly have to 'poke something small into it' to achieve contact with life parts. A 32A (or larger) female 60309 connector is perhaps a little more worrying, since the apertures are much larger, and the 'life parts' not all that deep within them.

Kind Regards, John
And very much small child finger sized.

And very much small child finger sized.
Quite. That's why I said "a little more worrying".

However, in reality, I suspect that a 32A socket has too small an aperture for even the 'little finger' of a child.

Kind Regards, John

Quite. That's why I said "a little more worrying".

However, in reality, I suspect that a 32A socket has too small an aperture for even the 'little finger' of a child.

Kind Regards, John
I promise it's hard work removing one from a screaming childs finger...

That's one of the bonuses of placing locks around mated connectors when they're in publics touch.

I promise it's hard work removing one from a screaming childs finger...
If they managed to get it in, I can well believe that.
That's one of the bonuses of placing locks around mated connectors when they're in publics touch.
That sounds sensible. However, it's presumably when the female connector is not mated that it poses the greatest risk, isn't it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back