Are back boilers illegal?

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that some incorrect information is being given in this thread.

My understanding is that NO open flued appliances over 12.7 kW may be installed in any area used for sleeping.

If an open flued appliance of less than 12.7 kW IS fitted in a room for sleeping that that MUST be fitted with a device to shut it off if the POC level rises in the room. ( Oxypilot etc. )

But these regulations are often made more strict and it is possible that it has become more strict in the last few years.

It's not about it being open flued, or the size of the boiler. You can only fit condensing boilers these days, domestically anyway, and no one to my knowledge makes a condensing back boiler anymore. And when they did it was a room sealed flue that was used down the chimney, not open.

Liked the bit where they claimed the efficiency would increase tenfold.
So replacing a 50% efficient back boiler would increase the efficiency to 500%!

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that some incorrect information is being given in this thread.

My understanding is that NO open flued appliances over 12.7 kW may be installed in any area used for sleeping.

If an open flued appliance of less than 12.7 kW IS fitted in a room for sleeping that that MUST be fitted with a device to shut it off if the POC level rises in the room. ( Oxypilot etc. )

But these regulations are often made more strict and it is possible that it has become more strict in the last few years.

Your comments don’t help, Tony.

Your last paragraph suggests that you have been heavily involved in RedWine and/or Sari’s this evening.

Hi, I read on a website that back boilers are illegal, I don't think this is true is it?
Thanks

Is this a serious post?

The website to which you linked is a pathetic tissue of random comments, half truths and lies. It is like reading the instructions for a foreign made kids toy.

An existing BBU is not illegal, but is inefficient and the flue being open to the room is intrinsically unsafe compared to a room sealed appliance.

However, the “inefficiency” applies to fuel usage and not reliability.

Why are you giving h the is website anycredrnce?

You can only fit condensing boilers these days, domestically anyway
I think you still can install a standard efficiency boiler, as long as you are qualified to complete the exemption form, it is a points based criteria, I did the course years ago but have never completed one, however getting a non condensing boiler is a different thing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yea, I've never heard one way or another if the exemption form was still a thing. But know a few who tried it and unless its in a conservation area they were told to just get a condenser and deal with it. Like you say, cant think of any UK non-condensing domestic available anymore

Yea, I've never heard one way or another if the exemption form was still a thing. But know a few who tried it and unless its in a conservation area they were told to just get a condenser and deal with it. Like you say, cant think of any UK non-condensing domestic available anymore
I know that you can still do it for Oil boilers so cant see why you couldnt do it for Gas , but as said , I did the diddy course, learnt absolutley nothing, paid the fee and have never used it so havent a clue about the current situation is , My personal view , I love old Baxi Bermudas, are they more expensive to run than a steamer ? I have loads of customers with them the have a living room and a bedroom, I know you guys all calculate on 12 + rads if an old couple use 2 rads and their fire and love it , no way am I gonna try and flog them a modern boiler that fails for fun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back