Are boiler fitters inundated with work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Because i have left messages with 3 companies enquiring about getting a new boiler fitted and possibly new rads etc and none have got back to me

I would rather not go BG again but at least they answer a call!

Sponsored Links
Yes.

I am absolutely stacked with work, but I always return calls within 48hrs usually.

I had a new boiler fitted 2 weeks ago.

I'd already made arrangements for someone to come and do it, and he never bothered getting back to me to actually do the job despite leaving 4 messages for him.

I then contacted 4 companies and only 2 of them bothered getting back to me to give me a quote, the company I decided to go with of those two couldn't even fit me in for 3 weeks!

I think I'm in the wrong profession :eek:

Some wont return calls unless phoned again as they use it as a way of filtering quote hunters out
If they have been recommended always mention that and name of person who recommended them.
And as for being accepted and not turning up that can be down to a gut feeling regards job and customer.

Sponsored Links
Move north of Watford. Less tossers up here, or to put it another way more people who are prepared to get out of bed and do a day's work for less than a thousand quid :LOL: Maybe some of those unemployed bankers will help when they finish training as gas installers.

And as for being accepted and not turning up that can be down to a gut feeling regards job and customer.

it's amazing what the front of the property tells you about a person.
done many a drive-bys before.

While I sypathise with householder needing two or the estimates (or quotes as usually reqested), thing that leave me cold and reluctant to chase the job offer, is when they say " they are looking for a quote". My question then is what boiler are you looking for a quote for. The answer almost always is " Don't know, could you come around and give me a free quote"

Do not do free quotes. Still have plenty work from clients who trust and believe they are getting a top notch service.

While I sypathise with householder needing two or the estimates (or quotes as usually reqested), thing that leave me cold and reluctant to chase the job offer, is when they say " they are looking for a quote". My question then is what boiler are you looking for a quote for. The answer almost always is " Don't know, could you come around and give me a free quote"

Do not do free quotes. Still have plenty work from clients who trust and believe they are getting a top notch service.

Well most people dont have a Clue about boilers so how would they know which boiler to choose from?

Reading some of the threads here you Experts dont agree on much either
so it appears no one is right

Maybe they have one type of system but want to change to another or dont know what type would best suit them?

Why should anyone 'Trust' you without seeing what you are about and comparing options.

Lets face it there are plenty of cowboys riding the range, I dont know if you are one until I have met you and compared you to others.

This isnt cheap work we are talking about but work potentially costing thosuands of pounds

I don't know you but the most likely thing that is keeping them away is YOU.

not trying to have a dig at you but most installers will try to keep away from problem customers.

it could be the area you live or the way to are talking to them or any number of things.

I have no doubt you will feel differently.

Most good installers will be booked up for at least 6 weeks in advance, so you just have to be patient i'm afraid, ranting on a web blog about it wont help your cause, it isn't just gas fitters - it's just taken 4 months to get a new van, its like all thinghs people expect to phone this morning and for the job to be done by the end of the day - not realistic :rolleyes:

Problem is, everybody wants something done for nothing. A lot of people think they can get a boiler installed for less than a grand. They think if they get a few quotes that they will vary vastly, but in reality they shouldn't. A decent boiler will cost around a grand to buy. add on any control packs/stats/rad stats, COPPER pipe (for all you true cowboys out there who use plastic), materials and of course labour (which will depend upon the system and how much it is being altered).

You mentioned BG, but if you want the least amount of hassle, why not? Sure they are not the cheapest, but if you want the reliability, comebacks, infrastrucure to deal with the job, decent engineers and someone to answer the phone to you, i'm afraid you will have to pay for it!

I am not knocking the white van man, some are just as good as BG and will do a good job for you, but, and here's the kick-in-the-nuts reality of it, if he could answer your call within 3 rings, be there the same morning, fix the problem there and then, install your new top of the range,measured to suit your home boiler within 2 weeks, hoover up, wash the dishes and pet the cat he would be charging a lot more than he does!

The fact that larger companies don't get back to you reveals their qualities, and if they aren't prepared to follow up potential sales, what makes you so sure they'll address and complaints or issues you may have once the installation is complete?

I don't know you but the most likely thing that is keeping them away is YOU.

not trying to have a dig at you but most installers will try to keep away from problem customers.

it could be the area you live or the way to are talking to them or any number of things.

I have no doubt you will feel differently.

Well that utter B*****X im afraid i have merely left my details on answer machines saying that i am interested in getting a new boiler/system in a polite way.How that makes me a problem who knows

Where I live houses change hands for between £450-500k so its not exactly Helmand province

you make out as if gas fitters are little delicate flowers!

if the work is not wanted or needed WHY advertise on websites and in newspapers?

Surely all those personal referrals are enough?

And all I am ASKING for is a reponse NOT to do the job tomorrow I am well aware that you can not expect the job to be done immediately not evevn BG can do that

We do not advertise , never have , never will , there are many reason's why some one does not want a particular job , although I will admit that not getting back to you or answering your call is not good !!

In our particular case if we are not interested in a job that I look at we will put in a very high price !!
will not work for a builder or property developer !! ect ect

We do not advertise , never have , never will , there are many reason's why some one does not want a particular job , although I will admit that not getting back to you or answering your call is not good !!

In our particular case if we are not interested in a job that I look at we will put in a very high price !!
will not work for a builder or property developer !! ect ect

you are assuming the the job has been seen, im talking about the initial conversation.

Putting in a high price just for the hell of it is basically dishonest and cowboyish isnt it?

why not just say you dont want to do it and be done with

Why ??? If I look at something & for whatever reason I decide , I do not fancy the job , aggravation ect I will put in a high price if I than get it than so be it , I already stated that not returnig your call's is not good , as for cowboyish ??? there are plenty of cowboy customer's out there !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back