flue to ridge terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mum had bg in today for yearly service, they have turned off boiler saying at risk on paperwork. bg man said flue pipe is 500mm & should be 600mm at top of boiler, and were it goes to ridge terminal its not bolted?? i would like to know can she get a corgi gas fitter to fit new flue and bolts,whats involved price wise etc,because bg want to quote new ch system its an ideal wlx boiler thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
The flue will join a ridge tile adapter. This will probably have been bolted to the ridge tile using plastic bolts when it was installed. These normally shear off - allowing the flue to drop down. Its usually just a case of replacing with galvanised bolts - this involves 2 people (one up on the roof).

An open flue should have an initial vertical rise of 600mm - yours has 500mm. This means the rest of the flue and the ventillation must be per the current regulations otherwise the installation is upgraded to "At Risk".

To sort the ridge tile should take no more than an hour excluding travel (sometimes the sheared plastic bolts require drilling out).

If the flue is fibre cement the joints may need re-sealing.

Anyone carrying out this work will need to do a full inspection of the boiler and check the ventillation is up to standard (this was recently revised).

Since the BG engineer did not mention any other problems these may be up to standard but don't bank on it.

thanks for reply the flue is made off metal/aluminium by the feel of it.i got in loft to have a look the outlet ridge seems to go into funnel type shape, i dont see where bolts would lock onto,its like a push fit section. you are right about vent, it has 100cm on internal white cover with sleeved tube going through wall. any idea price off upgrade to flue will b?

At the top of the funnel shape where the connector goes rectangular, there should be a bolt either side which needs the nuts to tighten it up and keep the seal against the ridge tile....it's usually one of these nuts which is missing but if you have a photo we could give accurate advise.

Sponsored Links
The vent size is calculated from the Kilowatt input of the boiler, any other open flued appliances in the vicinity and any extractors eg kitchen hoods.

100cm may well be sufficient. As I mentioned before you must not have any other faults - therefore the vent must be sleeved through the wall, the vent grill size must comply, no fly screens fitted. Some vents are also fitted with a damper to reduce noise (this will reduce the cross sectional area written on the vent).

You will just have to phone around - it depends how high your roof is, how easy is access etc. You may want to volunteer to put the nuts on below to keep the cost down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back