Are modern UPVC Windows better than 90s UPVC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 1940s house was fitted with UPVC windows in the late 90s. The glass is starting to fail and I'm wondering if there is benefit in replacing the entire units instead of just the glass. One obvious benefit is security as the glass is fitted from the outside on my old windows. But are modern frames better in terms of thermal isolation, aound transfer etc or would I be wasting my money by replacing them?

TIA for any advice offered.

Sponsored Links
Worth getting a quote as the difference between replacement glazing and replacement windows may not be as great as you might think, also it upgrades security and insulation properties as you allude to.

Blup

Last edited:
Not many people know that the glazing oneself should be replaced every 10-12 years as usually the argon is already gone and the double/triple glazing doesn't serve the purpose anymore.

Raf

Only half true... yes argon vanishes , as it seeps out of the sealant joints, but the Sealed unit will still serve a purpose without the argon. You would still have the ' Low e ' pane and possiblty the Low iron ( if specified ) . The sealed unit will still be working at keeping the heat in , just at a reduced rate

Sponsored Links
Would modern glazing units fit into frames from the 90s? I thought nowadays the with of the vacuum cavity in the units makes it incompatible with older frames?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back