Are recessed power sockets available in the UK

Sponsored Links
US plugs are oriented with the pins co-axial with the cable, so they can do this. Our plugs have pins at 90° to the cable, so you'd need a much larger recess to allow for the flex to bend.

You'd have to make your own recess and mount a normal socket in it - unless you have a hollow wall you might have structural issues with the size and depth you'd need.

I may just cut out a little hole in the base of the wooden bed frame, easier! Thanks for the reply!

What I did for my bed at my parents house where I have this problem was to replace the socket with a FCU and then wire a power strip into it.

Sponsored Links
Annoyingly when we had the sockets placed we had the room laid out slightly differently. It is not a big deal I just would prefer the bed backed completely against the wall. I hadn't though about floor plates actually!

build out the headboard with 2x2 and then the bed sits away from the wall... :rolleyes:
Or if space allows, build it out enough to make a useful shelf above the headboard for books/kindles/box of tissues(for blowing noses, you mucky beast)/whatever.

What I did for my bed at my parents house where I have this problem was to replace the socket with a FCU and then wire a power strip into it.

That's a great idea for a space saving solution, the 13amp FCU protects the one metre of extension lead, and the power strip, which normally also has screw holes on the back for wall mounting included. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'm not being funny or obtuse here, and I realise it would probably be impractical, but would it be illegal to replace the socket and plugs with US or German equivalents?

Just out of interest, you understand.

Also what is an FCU?
Fused Connection Unit, often called a fused spur.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK1040.html

Most ranges have them, usually in any combination of switched/unswitched and with/without indicator lamp.
If you are replacing a socket with a FCU to get a peice of furniture closer to the wall you specifically want an unswitched FCU with the flex outlet on the edge. e.g. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MKK0337.html

I'm not being funny or obtuse here, and I realise it would probably be impractical, but would it be illegal to replace the socket and plugs with US or German equivalents?

it certainly wouldn't comply with regs, as, as far as I'm aware, the german sockets are not shuttered as our sockets are, which is a requirement.

And as for US sockets, they're likely only rated at 110v, at least the German Schuko is rated for our voltage

But if you look here, the good ol' BS 1363 is the only socket outlet (and a few others) that gets 4 yeses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Comparison_of_sockets

it certainly wouldn't comply with regs, as, as far as I'm aware, the german sockets are not shuttered as our sockets are, which is a requirement.

And as for US sockets, they're likely only rated at 110v, at least the German Schuko is rated for our voltage

But if you look here, the good ol' BS 1363 is the only socket outlet (and a few others) that gets 4 yeses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets#Comparison_of_sockets[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. The Wiki article states that the old BS546 plug is still permitted in the UK. Certainly, our current 3-pin plugs and sockets seem to be the best in the world with the one drawback (to me at least) that they are sometimes more difficult to insert and remove from the socket. You would think that, logically, all countries would eventually adopt this pattern, although I can't see that ever happening!

Also, I found myself looking, in vain, for an obsolete UK pattern that I remember from my childhood. I remember it distinctly, and have never seen one since. The plugs were circular with 3 pins. The earth pin was slightly longer than the others and was circular but also wedge-shaped towards the end. I seem to remember that it also had a horizontal slot cut in it, into which a flange engaged when the switch on the socket was pushed into the 'on' position, thus preventing the plug's removal whilst the socket was switched on. This must have been around 1960 when we moved into a new (old) house. I have a feeling that the sockets had been there since the year dot and probably preceded the BS546 pattern.

Does anyone have any idea what these could have been?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back