Are these connectors man enough

Sponsored Links
It's in their linked knowledgebase/FAQ
1702315464015.png

The approval criteria are different.

I think that the PSE/Jet certification of 300V 20A is only applicable to Japan
If using UK electricity I believe that the 450V 32A certification applies :rolleyes:

(Beaten to it by hllns).

Sponsored Links
The old style terminal blocks with screws are made with solid copper/brass blocks probably 1mm thickness (I do not have one here so going from memory) and maybe 10mm length for using on a 2.5mm2 cable. They appear much more manly to me than these wago ones.

The wago has a very thin square shaped conductor the wire makes little contact ( a circle over a flat surface ) and at the top a guillotine like springed blade to keep it in place. Current will pass from that contact point through the very thin conductor and to the other side where the other conductor is sitting.

With old style terminal blocks you put two wires over each other inside the same cylindrical solid brass connector and push everything down with 2 screws so current passes from wire to wire directly, and through the thick brass connector.

Where did you see that? It shows 20A @ 300V.
It comes from the spec in the Wago document ti which was linked to -it's the difference between "IEC/EN ratings" (at 450V) and "UL ratings" (at 600V).

However, I suspect that the difference between the two in current ratings is not entirely (or necessarily at all) related to the voltage - since I can't really see why 'voltage' has go it anything to do with a connector's ability to carry current. All a connector knows about voltage is the very tiny pd across it - and it doesn't know whether the circuit in question involves voltages of 1V, 50V, 500V or 50,000V (all 'relative to something'!).

Kind Regards, John
Edit: I seem to have somehow missed a page of similar responses. Sorry!

However, U suspect that the difference between the two in current ratings is not entirely (or necessarily at all) related to the voltage - since I can't really see why 'voltage' has go it anything to do with a connector's ability to carry current. All a connector knows about voltage is the very tiny pd across it - and it doesn't know whether the circuit in question involves voltages of 1V, 50V, 500V or 50,000V (all 'relative to something'!).
It'll be "permitted temperature rise" or somesuch which may even be measured over different time periods.

Given Flameport's test videos of overloading Wagos to ridiculous levels the cables would be glowing red hot all over the place before the connector fails.

It'll be "permitted temperature rise" or somesuch which may even be measured over different time periods.
Yep, very probably something kike that - but, as I said, certainly nothing to do with 'circuit voltage'(of which a connector has no knowledge!
Given Flameport's test videos of overloading Wagos to ridiculous levels the cables would be glowing red hot all over the place before the connector fails.
I don't doubt that.

Kind Regards, John

Another factor I suspect will be relevant is that American standards bodies will presumably want to test with american wires, and perhaps will not want to load those wires any higher than would conventionally be allowed by American electrical codes.

The largest american size supported by the Wago 221-4 is 12 AWG which is about 3.3 mm². Americans normally rate such wire at 20 amps*, so rating the connector the same seems pretty natural.

* I'm not an expert on american electrical codes, but they seem to have a lower "base" rating for most wire sizes than us, but they don't seem to do anywhere near as much of the "installation methods" stuff that we do.

Last edited:
should have green/yellow sleeving on the earths - and where are they going to be - i would put in a box
Inside partition walls. I suppose I need to make them waterproof, it is in the loft and leaks are common in my roof. Maybe wrap them really tight inside a few latex/nitrile gloves.

Thanks. Interesting. As I recent wrote, I'm a little surprised that I wrote it quite like that, although I did add that the comment was for people who were concerned about current ratings of connectors (and that I was not one of them!). However, my comment was in responded to your ...
In fact 20A is sufficient for a Ring Final as that is the requirement for the cable itself.
... and, as I recently wrote, I don't think that it is as simple as that.

The regs require that it is 'unlikely' that the CCC of any of the cable will be exceeded for long periods of time, and although they say that the CCC must be at least 20A, they (obviously) do not say that the CCC can't be more than 20A.; As I wrote earlier, the CCC would often be as high as 27A, hence the reg would allow such a current to flow . If (again, if one is concerned about these 'current ratings') the circuit is then allowed, by regs, to have up to 27A flowing (theoretically 'indefinitely'), some might say that to use a connector 'rated at' 20A would perhaps be 'questionable'.

More generally, if we were talking about tried-and-tested screw-terminal connections, I would personally not care at all about 'current ratings' - if the conductors could comfortably fit, I'd be perfectly happy, regardless of 'rating'. However, I'm not so sure about these newer-fangled connectors - with, as has been said, seemingly some pretty small contact areas and possibly diminutive internal conductors!

Kind Regards, John

However, I'm not so sure about these newer-fangled connectors - with, as has been said, seemingly some pretty small contact areas and possibly diminutive internal conductors!
I was also thinking it is bad enough I inadvertently cut those cables with the angle grinder due to extreme clumsiness and stupidity, now with these connectors I may be introducing some extra resistance at that junction, so to remedy the clumsiness I should use the best connector there is. Tomorrow I will remove the wagos and install terminal blocks!

Tomorrow I will remove the wagos and install terminal blocks!

Only if you are going to leave an inspection hatch in the wall. Screw terminals are NOT permitted by BS7671 for inaccessible joints. Wagos are, provided they are in a suitable "maintenance free" approved enclosure.
An approved enclosure with cable strain relief... Not a rubber glove. If it needs to be water resistant, then the enclosure must have a suitable IP rating in addition to the other requirements.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back