argi

sooey said:
Ask not what your ARGI can do for you, ask what you can do for your ARGI :D

Sooey, what was your origional question again? it seems such a long time ago now....... :D

Sponsored Links
Ask not what your ARGI can do for you, ask what you can do for your ARGI

Whoever started ARGI did it because he wanted to. Those who get involved in running it , likewise. It's their responsibility, not the membership's.
Who is going to get involved in an organisation which doesn't have their respect?

If ARGI does nothing for its members, or IS SEEN TO do nothing, it'll never amount to anything. I've never had a single email telling me of an ARGI member benefit. I suggested it might be a good idea to send them to all subscribing members, and got a thoroughly incompetent and discouraging reply, along the lines complained about by many, above.

ChrisR said:
That's pretty much the way I've seen it too, too often. Some rather self-important people have an unfortunate attitude not appropriate for their status.
If it's trying to come across as an organisation of and for professionals, I think it'll have to adopt a more professional structure and standards.

well that's all down to the admins to stamp that out before it starts again on these new forums. really sounds like you hit nail on head why there are so few members on there if there are a few domineering types that are not being dealt with.

chr15 Forgot meself now.

chrisr three years is nothing, they must deserve a chance, there's bound to be all kinds of disagreements that's life. Ultimately if it's no good it will fail, so hopefully lessons will be learned along the way (that's life as well).
Sounded quite clever there didn't I. :eek:

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
That's pretty much the way I've seen it too, too often. Some rather self-important people have an unfortunate attitude not appropriate for their status.
If it's trying to come across as an organisation of and for professionals, I think it'll have to adopt a more professional structure and standards.
Sorry to quote ChrisR yet again, but I think he sums it up extremely well with that post. Some of us (former) members tried many times to promote a "more professional structure and standards" but largely without success. In fact our efforts sometimes earned a pretty hostile response from those who seem to consider themselves the owners of ARGI.

It's sad in a way that it's all come out here on a public forum. Corgi will no doubt be enjoying this immensely. But when this sort of debate is stifled on the ARGI forum itself it's bound to boil over into a more public arena. As LBJ once said "better to have him inside the tent pis$ing out than on the outside pis$ing in".

Sorry Sooey I don't agree. I think it's had plenty of time to sort more things out and there's very little good to show for it so far.
Disagreements are fine, but "you're rubbish" (etc) isn't an appropriate response, even on day 1.

So far ARGI does not actually have any legal status or any adopted constitution. Thats a simple thing to address and when I last looked, ARGI Ltd was still available.

One individual has neverless registered ARGI Sales Ltd to sell to ARGI members and produce a small income to help fund ARGI.

Since ARGI is doing things, so we are told, some annual accounts should have been published but I have never seen any.

By the time annual subscriptions are requested I do hope those two aspects will have been covered.

It would be interesting to know how the level of annual fees have been set. As far as I am aware, the members have not been asked to vote on the level or had any explanation of how the apparently proposed £50 will be adequate and what that will enable ARGI to progress.

I also went to that meeting with CORGI a year ago, as an observer, and apart from the two senior members of CORGI leaving, it seems a pity that not much seems to have been achieved in the following year. Even the new CORGI inspector appointed "to spearhead investigations into unregistered installers" is not even known by most of their HQ staff.

Its a pity we cannot go to another progress meeting with CORGI at the Installer Live this year.

Tony

so is argi going to stand against corgi? i really don't like the monopoly that corgi have on registered gas installers. we need a choice if things are to move forward.

markplumb said:
so is argi going to stand against corgi? i really don't like the monopoly that corgi have on registered gas installers. we need a choice if things are to move forward.

They already are markplumb, and its for sure no-one else will.

Why not visit the Argi site and find out first hand, that way you can make your own mind up.

Should any of you RGI,s looking in be interested in what members of ARGI are involved in where gas industry related committees are concerned, and more importantly what they are achieving, should come across to the ARGI forum for a look.

As I see it, some respected people within the gas industry, are at last being listened to by that group of people, who,s decisions affect me and you.

As it happens these respected people are members of ARGI,
now these respected people have been banging away at those people who,s decisions affect you and me for a few years before ARGI came on the scene.

What is crystal clear to me is this, the fact that currently one thousand plus RGI,s are members of the Association of Regisered Gas Installers, these one thousand plus people were sufficiently dissatisfied with the way the "Decision Makers" have highjacked the gas industry that they followed Philip Coopers lead.

ARGI has a respected chairman and a core of active supporters, but of far greater importance are the one thousand plus members who,s commitment to the only association that represents the RGI, is what is causing people to take note.

CORGI, the HSE and the ACS bodies are now listening
and their decisions are most definitely being affected by the lobbying and constructive criticism of ARGI.

So don't stand around as individuals to be picked off by Basingstoke, come on in, fill in the form, and add your voice to the throng, or just ask the lads and lasses on the CORGI stand if they can direct you to the ARGI members who most certainly will be at CORGI,s Installer Live Exhibition this month, where you can talk over your concerns and doubts over a brew or two.

Tim (The Baker off the ARGI site)

My thanks to DIYnot for their patience.
Thats all I will be posting under this thread.

Of those 1000 members, how many have forgotten Argi exists?

As far as I'm aware, Corgi still has the monopoly, and Argi has had no effect on that.
I have been to the Argi website. The Workbench is useful, and I try to make positive contributions there, but apart from that I mostly find chitchat. (One ARGI person once criticised me for asking too many questions - I mean it must be SEVERAL, though I've answered many times as many)

If you make promises to people if they just give you their name, of course you'll get a lot of names. Then you can go to some committee saying you represent a lot of people and of course they have to let you sit there if they aren't to be seen to be excluding what might look like a body of relevant individuals.
Of itself, not really much of an achievement. People are listening? Well they're probably polite. But what has changed as a result? Where are the minutes of the meetings, with the questions and answers? Why not email all the members with that?

Having read all the comments on this thread, its painfully obvious (to an outsider) that there are a lot of issues with the previous management which were never resolved!

For such an organisation to exist it must have the support of all its members!

Sadly, ARGI does'nt sound very customer friendly and should start listening to its members, and perhaps replace any management with a one sided view.

Either that or a splinter group will appear somewhere down the line with perhaps a North Eastern base. ;)

I haven't been a member of ARGI for long but tbh i have gained more useful information out of them in 6 months than the years i was a member of other trade organisation listed in this thread.

I like it there it useful to me ,they have been helpful to me.

Others here don't it seems they want to shout about how they haven't achieved anything don't really care much there to be honest ,im a gas installer have been for 18 years and to be they have provided information and guidance i didn't get else where so in my eyes they managed that.

They are attending meetings ,maybe not yet in a position to sway the outcomes of them but they are at least trying to stand up and give us a voice ,a voice that not just sitting on a forum bitching that my ones better than your one or what ever.

They are at least trying.

Can't see how they can be anymore helpful, you are talking to the same people you are talking to here, or screwfix etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back