Asbestos Garage Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have currently have a old single pre-fab garage with the corrigated asbestos roofing. I would like to knock this down probably early next year

Can't seem to fully get my head round the law on this.

Can I remove the roof myself OR is it now illegal?

I have contacted a company and that want £500 to remove!!!!

Sponsored Links
Asbestos used id garage roofs is usually low grade so basic precautions such as paper suits, decent dust masks and gloves should be all you need. When removing sheets try not to break them any more than you have to. Buy some viscreen sheeting and lots of duct tape( the tips seem to like this) and securely wrap all pieces. My local tip will accept this, yours should as well.

Voogy,

If you live in Nottingham as your profile suggests, the county council will take asbestos from a householder one time only from any house. Needs double bagging and they need to know in advance, information should be on their web site. They tell you they don't have to, and I guess they don't, but I suppose it's preferable to people just dumping it down a country lane. If it's your asbestos you can carry it legally to the dump, anybody else would need to be specially licenced to carry your asbestos there.

I also have an asbestos garage that needs taking down and I reckon the council taking it for free is one of these things that might disappear with the looming cuts.

When I was a kid, (early 60's) the local council were knocking down some prefab's opposite where we lived. There were great piles of corrugated asbestos roofing lying about. We though it was great fun to build a bonfire and put pieces of the asbestos roofing on and watch till the asbestos exploded.

We also used to go collecting all the scrap lead and copper (until the local bobby caught us and clipped us round the ear :oops: :oops: :oops:)
Oh the innocence of youth.

Sponsored Links
It's fine to knock the garage down yourself. Take sensible precautions including all the advice given above and also soak the roof sheets with a hose pipe as work proceeds.

The important thing is the roof material is classed as special waste and must be disposed of properly. You cannot just dump it in your wheely bin - that would be illegal.

The waste must be double bagged (or wrapped) in 1200g polythene and sealed. Most local authority tips will take it but if it is a large quanitity they may need warning. A phone call would be wise.

What others have said :)

Only thing I can recommend you on, is a decent respirator. As my job is supplying RPE equipment :D

You need the FFP3's. The disposable ones I suggest are 3M 8835, 3M 8833 or 3M 9332.

Give me a shout if you need one, just pay for the postage and I'll send you one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back