Asbestos? See pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
went to a house recently where they'd had asbestos insulation board removed in a porch the week before. Done by a professional company in enclosure with 4 stage clearance procedure done by anslyst etc.

I have massive worries about asbestos and wouldn't have taken my kids there had I known beforehand (house owners didn't see issue as all done properly etc - I guess many people wouldn't actually see the issue ) Anyway due to my massive fear I've got myself into a panic that I have spotted potential asbestos fibres on a shoe that was worn there (not been worn since).

Does anyone here know what asbestos insulation board debris would look like - would it be possible to pick up fibres like this (about 0.5 -0.75cm long)

I'd be grateful if you could look at the pics and let me know

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 381
Sponsored Links
AIB often contains Amosite.

Your pics look like cloth fibres to me.

Testing will be only way to prove it.

So is it possible, that after an enclosed removal of asbestos that this many fibres would stay close together and not have any other material attached to them. Trying to work out if this would concern others?

So is it possible, that after an enclosed removal of asbestos that this many fibres would stay close together and not have any other material attached to them. Trying to work out if this would concern others?

I dont think its likely a pro company would leave any fibres behind.

Do you think you collected those fibres from the porch?

Sponsored Links
No idea if they were collected from the porch or within the house (or the supernarket that was visited on the way home). I've noticed them due to being majorly fearful of asbestos as we lost a family member to it not long ago.

But trying to rationalise it by thinking that surely they wouldn't all stay together like that and be that "clean" - ie no other component of the AIB attached to them?

No idea if they were collected from the porch or within the house (or the supernarket that was visited on the way home). I've noticed them due to being majorly fearful of asbestos as we lost a family member to it not long ago.

But trying to rationalise it by thinking that surely they wouldn't all stay together like that and be that "clean" - ie no other component of the AIB attached to them?

Your concern is understandable.

Wipe the shoe with a damp cloth and then bin it. Seems like quite a lot of whatever it is so a proper company wouldn’t have missed that much in my opinion. Plus, again in my limited knowledge, wouldn’t insulation board be more bonded like cement board? That looks like long fibre strands. More like what I’d expect of lagging..... which it wasn’t.

Be concerned and get rid then sleep easy.

Another paranoid fretter in dire need of one of these.....
Is that for this specific situation or for general day to day wear? Is this the time to mention there are hundreds of asbestos fibres in every cubic meter of air we breath?

So thanks for the really kind replies. I understand there is asbestos all around us but I am not happy about the prospect of it being in that amount in my house with my children.

I'm after someone with knowledge who can tell me if AIB debris is likely to look like that?

It is very, very,very, very, very, very unlikely that what you have photographed is asbestos.

The only way to be 100% certain is to take a sample and have them tested - nobody can give you a definitive answer except the person actually conducting the test.

PS - AIB debris doesn't look like that. The most common form of asbestos used in AIB was amosite which looks very different from long flexible thread as seen in your photo.

Thanks newboy.

I get extremely anxious about asbestos - apparently a funny thing on this board. But I'm a mother with young children who had lost a close family member to mesothelioma.

The AIB was removed professionally and a certificate of reoccupation issued the previous week. Im thinking it's unlikely that any residual dust would have been together in such a big "clump" plus they're not needle like fibres which amosite is. Finally, the shoe (and its owner!) walked around a supermarket afterwards. Surely this would have broken long fibres up more and they would have dropped off the shoe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back