Assistance required...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice. For 6 months I have been unemployed and after applying for over 30 positions Ive been offered not one but 3 jobs all in the same week.

The problem is, I cant make my mind up because each job has pro's and con's so I need some opinions.

Job 1 is retail management, store manager, £45k, but it comes with all the less desirable trimmings, late nights, sundays, long hours etc

Job 2 is care manager role for a housing association, £20k, M-F 9-5, no late nights, 30 days hols, no weekends, every bank hol off. Loads of job satisfaction.

Job 3 is a management consultant job for an agency. £30k, M-F 9-5, good prospects, but never worked in an office before, and im not sure I want to.

What do I do?? My wife wants me to do job 1 so she can stop working and concentrate on reproduction :eek: HELP...

Sponsored Links
ms2004 said:
I need some advice. For 6 months I have been unemployed and after applying for over 30 positions Ive been offered not one but 3 jobs all in the same week.

The problem is, I cant make my mind up because each job has pro's and con's so I need some opinions.

Job 1 is retail management, store manager, £45k, but it comes with all the less desirable trimmings, late nights, sundays, long hours etc

Job 2 is care manager role for a housing association, £20k, M-F 9-5, no late nights, 30 days hols, no weekends, every bank hol off. Loads of job satisfaction.

Job 3 is a management consultant job for an agency. £30k, M-F 9-5, good prospects, but never worked in an office before, and im not sure I want to.

What do I do?? My wife wants me to do job 1 so she can stop working and concentrate on reproduction :eek: HELP...

what do YOU want to do? would you rather work in retail or care?

ms2004 said:
Tell her that the late night, weekends etc will prevent you of giving a hand with the baby ;)

Other thoughts: store manager: supervising lots of teenagers?, having to listing to all complaining customers? stress for having to make the targets (set by others), never seeing daylight? Never having quality time for your baby/child.

Care manager: lots of job satisfaction, your own words; making a difference for people

Office: never seeing daylight, if airconditioned building risk of always having colds etc, having to listing to office gossip, back-stabbing

But in the end, it' up to you I'm afraid. Money isn't everything

Money isnt everything ??? thats a good one when not in debt

Being kind and having peace of mind doesnt keep the roof over your head and doesnt feed and clothe the kids.

Also there is 25 grand difference between the jobs, so the do gooders out there will tell you that 500 quid a week extra is nothing.

Grow up--think of yourself and yours cause nobody else will ----take the most money and sleep at night cause if you dont you will lie there regretting it.

Sponsored Links
A few points to ponder:

How much income do you need to cover your outgoings?
What sort of work have you experience in?
If money was not a factor, which of the jobs would you prefer?

Though Freddie is right in saying nobody else will look after you if you don't, (and other points) the unsociable side of some jobs don't suit everybody, and some relationships don't survive it.

Well, I earn a lot less now than I used to but more happy with the time off and it's less stressful. Too many people are dying in a high paid job and is it worth it?

oilman said:
A few points to ponder:

How much income do you need to cover your outgoings?
What sort of work have you experience in?
If money was not a factor, which of the jobs would you prefer?

Though Freddie is right in saying nobody else will look after you if you don't, (and other points) the unsociable side of some jobs don't suit everybody, and some relationships don't survive it.

I think an extra £500 per week is worth getting rid of the Mrs for dont you think Oilman???? :LOL:

Well......., I'd keep my Mrs and forego the £500. However,.......... I can understand how some other couples would be less stressed if they went their seperate ways. Like Masona, I get much less than I used to, but then I don't want so much either. That's very nieve, and is ok while I can still earn money, and I'll have to work till I drop, instead of getting loads of dosh, and then.........oh never mind, it's not going to happen. :cry:

oilman said:
Well......., I'd keep my Mrs and forego the £500. However,.......... I can understand how some other couples would be less stressed if they went their seperate ways. Like Masona, I get much less than I used to, but then I don't want so much either. That's very nieve, and is ok while I can still earn money, and I'll have to work till I drop, instead of getting loads of dosh, and then.........oh never mind, it's not going to happen. :cry:

After being on the dole for 6 months i think i would take the big money and look for something else if it didnt suit.

Sad reality we are all destined to work untill we drop one way or another no matter how many immigrants are allowed in it wont make any difference unless you are a politician of course on a huge fat tax payers pension

After being on the dole for 6 months i think i would take the big money and look for something else if it didnt suit.

Agreed.

Stress and unhappiness are two very different quantities. A high stress job is not necessarily unenjoyable! And with no stress it could get quite boring. We've all heard stuff about "extending your comfort zone" and "pushing back your achievement barriers" before :LOL:

Working in retail DOES mean you have to deal with the public. Having worked in a few shops in the past, I never want to meet a member of the public ever again. I'm quite happy to work in a job where I am treated with respect: a minority of "the public" are very disrespectful, they've heard the phrase "the customer is always right" but misinterpreted as "the customer has the right to be abusive to the poor kid working on the till, even though she's doing everything she can to help them".

If everything else was equal, I would go for Job 3. That looks like the job that will be most rewarding in the long run: helping people is great, but sometimes you have to help yourself too.

But, £15K extra makes things very much unequal. You'll be able to go for a bigger mortgage and thus a bigger house for your future sproglets to run around in, not to mention have more money to clear any debts you might have built up during your last 6 months. I reckon you should sell your soul to retail, if you don't like it then you could leave after a year or so... quitting too soon might make future employers wary.

oilman said:
Like Masona, I get much less than I used to, but then I don't want so much either. That's very nieve, and is ok while I can still earn money, and I'll have to work till I drop, instead of getting loads of dosh, and then.........oh never mind, it's not going to happen. :cry:

1. I REALLY HOPE YOUR TALKING ABOUT MONEY HERE!!!!
2.How do you know about masona's personal life? your not...a......swinger are you :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:

supersparks said:
2.How do you know about masona's personal life? your not...a......swinger are you :LOL:
:LOL: :LOL:
Nope, there's no money there either :)

This will come acrosss as a possible insult, but it isn't actually meant that way...

These are all very responsible positions that require you to be able to make informed and intelligent decisions, and you won't have an "ask the friends" or "ask the forum" options. The decisions will need to be made quickly with the information you have to hand..

So the real question is..if you cannot make the decision as to which job to take, perhaps your not the right person for any of them and you should turn them all down....

Sponsored Links
Back