astra lower front suspension replacement

lp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
v/hall astra 1.6 auto 1997(aug):-
Hi all - been told that replacement of originally riveted front lower suspension ball joint requires nut and bolt refitting - are they special and , if not, what size - any ideas? (needed in advance of job because of remote location and no transport - brill arrangement!!)

Sponsored Links
I would weigh up the price of a new wishbone complete with ball joint.
They're not stupidly expensive (most i have done are £30 or under)

• Thanks
Reactions: lp
I would weigh up the price of a new wishbone complete with ball joint.
They're not stupidly expensive (most i have done are £30 or under)
thanks neo - unfortunately the part is already on its way but your good idea will be logged in the old memory box for future ref - now where did I put that bluddy memory box?

If you've ordered a replacement ball joint it should come with the correct replacement bolts with it (when the original is rivetted) unless you've ordered some cheap "white box" one which may not.
As neo says a replacement wishbone is normally the most cost effective

Sponsored Links
thanks andy (and andy2?) - I'll only know when it turns up - as it goes there's a main dealer on the way (to the job) so I'll get the gen there - and, of course, the necessary(if necessary!) cheers for the input - much appreciated -lp

just for info - part arrived with requisite nuts and bolts - getting old rivets out a small nightmare, ground off the heads and drilled them out but all done in situ - ( new brake disks were smaller than originals! so beware) otherwise all done and dusted - thanks all

If your brake discs were smaller then they might not bee the right ones. Is your astra a model G or F. This info appears 6 digits in on your chassis number. On the astra F 1.6 8v should have a 236mm disc while the 16v should have a 256mm disc. If you have been givin the later G discs they will be 256mm but they are diffent in fitment i.e the centre hub is different..
For safety sake please double check this.
Use this web catalogue from apec for more info on your discs

http://www.apecbraking.co.uk/search.php?cat=friction

:confused:

Back