Asus X551M laptop with poor spacebar operation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since new this laptop (in use writing this post) has had an irritating habit of missing out the odd space when I'm not looking at the screen...right now it's behaving itself!!

After putting up with this for several years I fitted a new keyboard assembly. This involved re-melting several plastic securing posts, so there's unlikely to be enough meat left on them to enable another keyboard to be fitted. The new keyboard exhibits just about the same symptoms as the old one, so it would appear to be nothing to do with the keyboard assembly.

Should I be looking at ribbon connections to the main board? The fault is only with the spacebar character and, once it has been cadjoled into working by a firm tap, it works agin with lighter/normal pressure for a few operations.
All other keys work properly.

The chances of a faulty keyboard being exchanged for a new one with the same fault must be quite low, I imagine. Even if a faulty batch had been released there would be very little chance of a duff one being around 8 years after manufacture.

A design fault? Something else? Something easy to fix?...I am competant with a soldering iron, etc.

MM

Sponsored Links
Idon'tknow,butI'llgiveitatry....

The q45c2 br6wn f6x 140-s 6ver the 3azy f6x.....

Well the USB keyboard is a little she-ite, but the spacebar works every time...

Sponsored Links
Back