At a loss - Damp line on outside brick

Does the water meter show the patch of bricks outside to be more moist than the other ones?

Perhaps it just needs a long time to dry out now?

Do you have any pictures of the house before you noticed the stain to confirm it was not there?

Just an update to this, had a further roofer out today who stripped the tiles off from the roof and it was bone dry (still had cobwebs below felt) wood underneath was also bone dry he replaced the cracked tile but explained this wouldnt be causing the issue due to felt as secondary was dry and would prevent this sort of issue happening. He also confirmed that roof felt was going into gutter.

Purchased a damp meter this shows 14% damp on the opposite wall inside but nothing on the outside?

Builder measured up between the green line posted above and this is the internal floor on the upstairs which lines up exactly, could it be pointing towards a possible pipe somewhere? I've had the water turned off 2 months almost but it hasn't dried up but nor is it getting even slightly better.

Sponsored Links
Does the water meter show the patch of bricks outside to be more moist than the other ones?

Perhaps it just needs a long time to dry out now?

Do you have any pictures of the house before you noticed the stain to confirm it was not there?

It doesn't seem to show any difference on any of the bricks, the first few bottom bricks show 20% but that is to be expected I'm guessing due to below damp course? The above damp course shows 9% on pretty much all the bricks.

I did assume it might take a few months after the initial guttering being blocked as the possible cause but the thing I dont understand is there doesn't seem to be any improvement at all not even 1 brick has dried out its exactly the same 2 months later?

The only photo I have is this one if its any good? This was 2.5 years earlier before buying.

brickorig.png

Last edited:
Are we sure it's damp? Would oil or similar cause it to look damp, but not be damp? (No idea where the oil would have come from!)

Are we sure it's damp? Would oil or similar cause it to look damp, but not be damp? (No idea where the oil would have come from!)

I think its pretty much moiture or damp, when I took the plug out the socket was soaking

Is it possible for bricks to be permanently stained in the space of 2 days?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Strange looking building. Almost looks like it used to be a bungalow then someone plonked a dormer roof on top. What is extraordinary is the massive amount of masonry above the gf doors and windows. The ceilings must be quite tall?

Can't quite fathom the construction...? The ceiling joists are much lower than the roof wall plate obvs.....:?:

Not sure where ceiling joist level is, but that damp patch seems as though it coincides with what I believe to be about level with the tops of the floor joists, i.e. about 5 courses of brick above the window?

Not sure where ceiling joist level is, but that damp patch seems as though it coincides with what I believe to be about level with the tops of the floor joists, i.e. about 5 courses of brick above the window?

I think the propertly was originally meant to be taller however planning permission was refused and the height was reduced (not sure if this was before it was built as it doesn't state on anything I have) before application was granted after reduction of the height.

I think your right about the floor joists heres a couple more photos of the actual dining room and the bedroom above where the damp patch shows.

Dining room:
https://ibb.co/SyjRPsH

Bedroom:
https://ibb.co/ckNT7Wb

Lift the carpet and the floor board in the bedroom and in line with the staining and have a look if there is a drain-off valve or some such...?

What happens at the top and bottom of the discolouration? It seems to be a oddly regular even shape.
Where does the wire for the outside socket go, all the way through the cavity or have they done something silly like run it up the cavity to the loft?

Lift the carpet and the floor board in the bedroom and in line with the staining and have a look if there is a drain-off valve or some such...?

Will have to get someone to cut the floorboard I think as Ive lifted the carpet up slightly and it doesnt look like it would come up easily.

What happens at the top and bottom of the discolouration? It seems to be a oddly regular even shape.
Where does the wire for the outside socket go, all the way through the cavity or have they done something silly like run it up the cavity to the loft?

There doesnt seem to be anything at the top or bottom which is what is confusing me its bone dry at the top, the top line seems to be at floorboard level at the first floor.

I'm not certain where the wire goes when the socket was removed all we could see is that it was drilled straight through the hole before drying it out and filling with silicone.

If the moisture sensor says the bricks are no more moist than the other ones then I think you may be chasing a red herring?
I would get the outside socket reconnected and keep an eye on it all!

I've had the water turned off for approx 2 months now.

Does anyone know if a brick can be stained like this? I know it can get white salt deposits but what about an actual damp stain mark?

Just an update to this, had a builder remove a few bricks to inspect cavity and this does appear to be dry as is the fibreglass insulation

I'm guessing this means the brick could be stained or could it still be condensation still?

Complete mystery to both myself and the builder.

If dry, I'd say stained. But, what caused it in the first place? You mentioned a socket full of water - was the source of that found?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back