Attaching book shelving to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to put up some wood shelving around a wall and would like some advice about how to attach it to the wall itself? Becasue it will be situated high up I'd rather not use the standard self brackets as they will be seen easily from below. Here's a mock up of what I have in mind,
shelf.jpg

Could someone point me in the direction of other methods which I might use to 'invisibly' attach the shelving to the wall? Or if not invisibly I'd settle for neatly!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
if its around 20mm thick you can go for threaded rod and resin drilled into the back

if its15mm melamane type board you can fix a 6mm back on and screw through that into wall plugs

you could also go for several mirror brackets that can be hidden by the shelve contents

Thanks for the reply big-all.

When you say fix a 6mm back on and srew through, do you mean attaching a wooden backing panel to the shelves? Wouldn't that still mean securing the shelving itself to the backing panel? Maybe I've got the wrong idea?

Basically the selving will be used to store books so will need to hold a considerable weight.

Sponsored Links
I was going to suggest mirror brackets as that's what I'm going to use on an iddentical job next week but as usual Big All beat me to it :LOL:

Thanks again for the replies.

Okay mirror brackets sound good. My only worry is that they would be able to cope with the weight...? Are there any that you guys would specifically suggest would be up for the job?

you havent mentioned you materials construction method width depth and height off structure so we know the best support method to suggest!!!

I have been very pleased with Cabinet Hanging rail

or you could make French Cleats if you like woodwork.

Oops sorry!

I'll probably be using 20mm pine or thereabouts. With lengths about 1500mm and depths of 200mm. I'll construct it with butt and rebate joints.

mm195 or 220 planed is likley to move quite a bit so make shure any "open ends" are limmited to around the timber width
by open ends i mean any timber not connected physicaly to another bit off timber accross most off its width

what are the walls made from!!

Thanks again.

The walls are concrete/brick.

Can you suggest some specific mirror brackets I should be considering? Links?

i would go for these
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardware/Brackets/Mirror+Plate+Slotted+38mm/d170/sd2230/p17481

every 250-300mm along the back edge off every shelve facing up starting /finnishing 50-70mm from the end

6x1"[3.5mmx25mm] screws into shelve '8x1.5" [4mmx40mm]into red plugs with a 1/4"[6mm/6.5mm] masonery drill bit drilled in 1 3/4"[45mm]deep

knock in a 2-4" nail into a bracket at one end level the sheves knock in another nail then whilst carefuly supporting incase the nails come out mark all the other positions with a pencil/nail
drill all holes and insert a screw into a plug at each end
hang the shelves then insert all screws loosely untill all screws are in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back