Auger bit with Brace shank how to connect to dewalt drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, just following on from my previous post I have inherited a lot of old tools and I'm going through them trying to figure out how to use them.

Anyway, I've come across several of these bits:
View media item 40528
View media item 40529
As far as I gather from wikipedia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_bit_shank#Brace_shank) they are auger bits with a brace shank.

It mentions that they can be used with modern drills but I can't seem to attach them securely, I can fit the bit into the chuck and tighten it but they still wabble about in one direction.

This is my drill:

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/DC725KA/

Do I need another attachment or is my drill not suitable or are they only for hand tools or whatever?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
they fit in this
Bit_and_brace.JPG

Thanks Merlin50.

Yeah I saw that when I did a search. The wikipedia article threw me a bit because it mentioned these bits being used in modern drills.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ah, thanks XtraRaptor, I never thought of that.

I think I'll try that if I can't find another solution.

Thanks

Ah, thanks XtraRaptor, I never thought of that.

I think I'll try that if I can't find another solution.
There is no other solution. That's exactly what we used to do when I was an apprentice because machine pattern auger bits were so expensive, whilst the old hand auger bits were cheap as chips off the flea market

cor aint seen 1 of those for a few years.
remember using them for doing locks,those were the days. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back