Australia reads the riot act to muslim groups

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't imagine a UK Govt saying this, can you!

Muslims read riot act
Lincoln Wright

September 17, 2006 12:00am

Article from: Sunday Herald Sun

AUSTRALIA'S Muslim leaders have been "read the riot act" over the need to denounce any links between Islam and terrorism.

The Howard Government's multicultural spokesman, Andrew Robb, yesterday told an audience of 100 imams who address Australia 's mosques that these were tough times requiring great personal resolve.
Mr. Robb also called on them to shun a victim mentality that branded any criticism as discrimination.

"We live in a world of terrorism where evil acts are being regularly perpetrated in the name of your faith," Mr. Robb said at the Sydney conference.

"And because it is your faith that is being invoked as justification for these evil acts, it is your problem.

"You can't wish it away, or ignore it, just because it has been caused by others.

"Instead, speak up and condemn terrorism, defend your role in the way of life that we all share here in Australia ."

Mr. Robb said unless Muslims took responsibility for their destiny and tackled the causes of terrorism, Australia would become divided.

Mr. Robb, the parliamentary secretary for immigration and multicultural affairs, said it was important for migrants to learn English.

"I see as critical the need for imams to have effective English language skills -- it is a self-evident truth that a shared language is one of the foundations of national cohesion," he said.

On the eve of Mr. Robb's release today of a discussion paper on a new citizenship test, the chairman of the Government's Muslim Reference Group, Dr Ameer Ali, said Opposition Leader Kim Beazley's idea of a values test was silly, as was the need for a universal English test.

He called for an orientation program for new migrants akin to a university student's orientation week

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,20425347-661,00.html#

Sponsored Links
22 views and not one of u has the bottle to say if the ausie where right or wrong ? :LOL:

well for me it was RIGHT to put the burden on the muslims community

Slogger there's not much point in replying really. Just get slagged off as racist by those who can't or won't see past their foreheads. Pretty bold move by the Aussies though. There'll be jihads and fatwas flying all over the place now.

Everyone agrees with it - but in PC Britain they just dare not say it.

Wait until we have another 7/7 and see what happens.

If the Muslims don't take care of the problem - then the common man will and it won't be pretty.

It is in everyone's interest to speak out - it may one day prevent race riots.

Sponsored Links
Slogger said:
22 views and not one of u has the bottle to say if the ausie where right or wrong ?
It has nothing to do with bottle - I was one of the 22, and I got bored before reaching the end of your post.

What I found from my time living in an area with a large immigrant population is that all the white people did complain.....but to each other. Believe it or not, there isn't actually a department down at your local Civic Centre where you can go and air your grievances or concerns about the ethnic minorities and uncapped immigration. There's always the BNP or the National Front but most sensible people wouldn't go near with a barge pole, but the BNP in particular have experienced increased levels of support over recent years. A sign of frustration among the populace maybe.

i agree the BNP isnt the answer and the NF is joke

what can we do> ? nothing unless we lobby our MPs british people will not take to the streets and take the law into there own hands like the french would and i guess thats for the best

so i guess we will either accept the problems we have with mulitcultural britain or lobby parliment via our MPs

but the aussies have shown the way forward and its not going to be easy what with our pc culture in the UK

Nice to see Australian politicians don't have to have their nads removed before standing for office like ours do.......

I have no problems saying that the Aussies have got it right! This country is going to dogs trying to be PC! Even the forces have become soft! :mad:

To be honest, what is being quoted above seems no different to what is said here in the UK on a daily basis, but it is far too simplistic. Sure, it gets the tabloid thumbs up, and is a very easy soundbite to make and only risks offending a very small percentage of the population (because it is so obvious and probably something they are already painfully aware of), so there is nothing brave about standing up and saying it. It is just one more example of the UK government's policy of creating direction through newspaper headlines, transposed to Australia.

Now imagine the boot was on the other foot. Say, for example, that it was suddenly declared that joyriding was a 'white' problem and the 'white' community had to sort it out. Would you have any idea what the young boy living five streets away was up to ? Of course you wouldn't. You can even call it a 'Christian' problem if you want, and then be expected to deal with it because you look a bit 'Christian'.

But somehow we imagine that the Moslem community live as one homogenous mass, thinking as one, behaving as one, in and out of each others lives all the time. And they don't.

Sure, there are problems in this country, but it is no good defining it as, say, a Moslem problem and absolving yourself of all responsibility. It is everyone's duty to adapt to the changes in the world that are going on around us.

I HAVE no problem dealing with white youths in my area that transgress the decent rules we live by and i would welcome the opportunity to take the law into my own hands ( even further ) to deal with said transgression :LOL:

White youths stealing cars is a white community problem. They should be birched.

Black youths toting guns is a black community problem.

Muslim youth problems are for the Muslim community to sort.

What's the problem?

Sponsored Links
Back