Automatic Gearbox Freewheeling.

There was an autobox (possibly a ZF in a BMW) where you'd burn out some seals by revving the engine in neutral. I'd imagine coasting in neutral would have a similar effect.

Sponsored Links
The latest Scania 38 and 44 tonners at my work have automatic 12 speed boxes (they're actually automated manuals), and they go into neutral mode every time you lift off the throttle for more than a couple of seconds. They re-engage gear when you press the accelerator or brake pedals. The dash display, which normally says which gear you're in, also displays N. I'm pretty sure the DAFs do the same.

Yes, automated manuals are really just manual boxes where a computer takes over operating the clutch for you and coasting in them is no different to coasting in a manual car. The engine and gearbox are effectively "separated" while the clutch is pushed in (albeit not by your foot). More complex ones (like VW's DSG and Porsche's Tiptronic) have multiple clutches so that they can be in two gears at once, which makes the changes a lot smoother. Even in cars, they can offer slight IMPROVEMENTS in fuel consumption if driven in "economy mode" because you're less likely to ever be in the wrong gear. However, they're generally reckoned to be not quite as smooth as traditional autos when it comes to "creeping" and low speed manoeuvring. Hill starts in particular being trickier, so the luxury car makers often stick with traditional auto boxes.

How do they get around the fact that coasting is against the advice in the Highway Code?

Yes, automated manuals are really just manual boxes where a computer takes over operating the clutch for you and coasting in them is no different to coasting in a manual car. The engine and gearbox are effectively "separated" while the clutch is pushed in (albeit not by your foot). More complex ones (like VW's DSG and Porsche's Tiptronic) have multiple clutches so that they can be in two gears at once, which makes the changes a lot smoother. Even in cars, they can offer slight IMPROVEMENTS in fuel consumption if driven in "economy mode" because you're less likely to ever be in the wrong gear. However, they're generally reckoned to be not quite as smooth as traditional autos when it comes to "creeping" and low speed manoeuvring. Hill starts in particular being trickier, so the luxury car makers often stick with traditional auto boxes.

Our Kuga has the twin clutch Powershift gearbox (very similar to DSG), even with the caravan on the back hill starts are no problem and smooth.

Has automatic hill hold system which works in tandem with the gearbox.

Sponsored Links
Drive a diesel , just take my foot off the throttle down hill has the same effect of reducing fuel usage , no advantage gained by putting it in neutral .

I'd venture to suggest that if you are searching for ways to save such a miniscule amount of fuel you may have chosen the wrong car.
The last time I recall drivers going to such lengths to eke out a tank of fuel was decades ago during petrol rationing :oops:

I'd venture to suggest that if you are searching for ways to save such a miniscule amount of fuel you may have chosen the wrong car.
The last time I recall drivers going to such lengths to eke out a tank of fuel was decades ago during petrol rationing :oops:
Yes, but that's because this thread is also that old.

Rather reminds me of news bulletins where they reported on queues at petrol-staions because the Chancellor was going to add two pence ( 2d ) to fuel prices from the following day ( pst Budget ) :LOL:

I remember the 70's fuel rationing 50mph limit, Got pulled- do you know your speed ,sir ? Yes, officer 60 mph. You know it's 50 now ? Well yes, officer but my Mk.1 1200 cc Ford Cortina will only go 60 flat out ! Well, ease off anyway - Rightoh officer.

Politicians once said diesels were better for the environment and encouraged their purchase with tax incentives. Believe it was Blair government. Yet people still follow what politicians say without question, even to this day.

And diesels are better for the environment, from a CO2 emissions point of view. The problem is that they're worse from a local air quality point of view (especially when their manufacturers cheat)! I am no lover of politicians, (not by a long chalk!), but it's not really fair to blame them for the public's lack of understanding or the manufacturers being devious. The sad thing, is that a good, Euro 6d compliant diesel, is almost no worse for air quality than a Euro 6d petrol engine, AND still better on CO2, but it's too late. The ill-informed are out there now, with their torches and pitchforks, looking for a witch to burn, and diesels have become that witch...

Sponsored Links
Back