Automatic Gearbox Freewheeling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the interest of economy and the environment, I have taken to putting my automatic gearbox selector in to N(Neutral) when coasting downhill, then returning to drive when the car begins to slow down. All works fine but not knowing anything what so ever about automatic gearboxes the question arises as to whether this practice could be damaging the transmission. The Car is a Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel, if that makes any difference.
Has anyone got any knowledgeable advice on this practice.

Sponsored Links
Not an answer to your question, but I'm pretty sure the fuel shuts off during coasting. By selecting neutral the engine needs fuel to run, therefore (if I'm indeed correct) you'll use more fuel doing it your way.

wrong car to worry about environment
the reason for buying a 3.0 diesel is too keep the economy going i know mine does with my foot about 30mpg if lucky

As above - it won't save any fuel in a modern vehicle, and could actually increase fuel consumption.

Whether it causes damage depends on the transmission design, but not likely on a modern one.

However it's dangerous as there is no braking effect from the engine and your car is essentially rolling out of control. It's a quick way to fail a driving test.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone for your replies, I don't think the fuel is cut off in this car when coasting, if the fuel was cut off the engine would stall.
I think you are all right and the amount of fuel saved will be minimal if any at all. So Ill take on board all of your comments and STOP doing it.
Thanks again everyone.

if the fuel was cut off the engine would stall.
I'm afriad that's not necessarily the case. Instead of the engine forcing the wheels to turn, the reverse happens and the wheels force the engine to turn, irrespective of whether fuel is used or not (assuming some road speed/momentum is present). In a manual gearbox, if one were to turn off the engine while in gear and moving the engine will continue to turn. Perhaps not in an auto tho, or in your particular auto.

Coasting, our 2017 diesel skoda yeti dgs has a coasting function,which can be enabled via the mfd. Never used it (y)

my 2015 superb also dsg but petrol does not have the coasting function,could be useful. Anything that improves mpg will be welcome.:)

Cars :(

DON'T DO IT!!! You'll be giving the torque converter a really hard time! (I'm assuming the Jag has a torque converter and isn't one of these more modern "DSG-type" auto boxes, but I think it is a conventional one). If it is, the big mismatch between road speed and engine speed puts a big strain on it (hence why you're not supposed to tow them above about 20 MPH). Also, putting them in and out of gear increases the wear rate on the clutches inside the auto box (again, assuming a conventional auto). The advice for optimum gearbox life, is to leave it in drive all the time, even when idling at lights, because each time you go in and out of gear you engage and disengage these clutches. Aside from that, as has already been said, you won't save any fuel. Over-run fuel cut-offs have been pretty much standard now for over 20 years. When the throttle is closed and the revs are above idle, the engine management system stops the injectors from opening. As you speed gets down to idle, it will restore fuel in the last few hundred revs above idle so that the engine doesn't stall when you come to a stop. If you want to save fuel, the best bit of advice I ever got, was to think of the brake pedal as the one that uses the fuel. Absolutely counter-intuitive, but true!!! If you drive trying to avoid using the brakes, you will accelerate more gently, lift-off sooner when coming up to an obstruction, and maintain a lower overall speed. It really works!

I recently got my wife a Pug 208 1.4 diesel. 75 to the gallon on the motorway. Maybe get rid of the Jag armoured car if you're concerned over fuel economy/ the environment?

I recently got my wife a Pug 208 1.4 diesel. 75 to the gallon on the motorway. Maybe get rid of the Jag armoured car if you're concerned over fuel economy/ the environment?

You bought a diesel and you're concerned about the environment? Awesome. :eek:

I think it's actually illegal.

Highway code...
highwaycode122.jpg

So, it's not recommended, indeed, but it is not illegal (or it would say "you must not" and have a link to the relevant legislation below, which it doesn't).

The latest Scania 38 and 44 tonners at my work have automatic 12 speed boxes (they're actually automated manuals), and they go into neutral mode every time you lift off the throttle for more than a couple of seconds. They re-engage gear when you press the accelerator or brake pedals. The dash display, which normally says which gear you're in, also displays N. I'm pretty sure the DAFs do the same.

Sponsored Links
Back