Avoiding the gas or electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum area, ive opted for the gas related forum...

I need to drill a couple of holes in the floor to fit a threshold plate between the hallway and an understairs cupboard which contains the gas and electric meters. It is a concrete floor.

Im concerned that I dont know where the gas or electric feed come from so there is a risk that I might hit them!

The threshold plate wants 50mm x 6mm holes.

This is the location:
20200104_183131_HDR.jpg

Metal detector doesnt find anything.

I can only assume the 2 gas pipes and the electric incomer feed through the hallway, through the door and into the meters.

Any advice?
Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Yup, use a silicone adhesive, no need for screws. either that or use the proper threshold screws which I think are about 20odd mill

Yup, use a silicone adhesive, no need for screws. either that or use the proper threshold screws which I think are about 20odd mill

The plastic ones that came with it are 45mm thread length.

Sponsored Links
Plastic screws? What kind of threshold is it?

Nice lead gas pipe there too :whistle:

Last edited:
Yes when the DNO was out to replace the meters he did check if he had to remove the lead (April 2019). The answer was if it is in a good state of repair then it can be left as is.

It is a plastic "screw type thing" that has a ribbed type thread that isnt really a thread as it is discontinuous that fits in a t track under the threshold plate.

20200105_105921.jpg

Ah right, it's the one with the channel in them, I'd just silicone that down.

If you want to use the plastic clips though then drill the floor just deep enough (say 15mm) and then cut the plastic clips to suit that depth with the floor covering added (say around 30mm?). I'd still put a little silicone on it to give it extra grip.

I silconed our threshold down a couple of years back and it hasn't moved. Just make sure you put plenty on.

I used the No-nonsense stuff from Screwfix, really good silicone to be fair.

I haven't had the time to do it yet. I have another threshold bar that I put back down with no more nails, but that didn't last very long...!

Evostick it...it's only a cupboard threshold.

I'd get the lead replaced...all it takes is a knock from a hoover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back