Awful CH trouble.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi on here. This is my 1st post: I was googling a temperature sensor, & came upon this site which looks very good.

Ok I wonder if folks could help. I have a 7 month dreadful central heating problem from a new ashp split (Vaillant arotherm). My problem is simple, but the solution anything but it seems. Ive had 10 engineer visits but problem remains. It is so protracted its got me depressed, sleep deprived, very cold, & unable to use the system. I feel totally up against a whole company, unable to get this simple thing resolved. I am in a desperate situation now not knowing what to do, on my own, my 1st house recently bought you see, no experience with ch system installs.

The issue is overnight noise. Not from the outside unit (fan, compressor) ..no. Only from the indoor 'hydraulic unit'. Suitcase size box near cylinder, both in spare bedroom. It is this.. a very pronounced whirring pump noise, loud enough to wake me 3 bedrooms away, incessant on-off-on-off bursts 2 am to 6 am. So awful I've resorted to turning whole system off before bed in order to sleep & not be woken (& kept awake by it). This means of course, no heating in mornings, exactly when needed, exactly what it was chosen for (logburner for evenings). The spare bedroom is a total write off as use a bedroom due to the general noise of this indoor unit, but, it is the -overnight- noise which is the problem due to time it does it, plus the fact that it goes into extra noisy mode during them. It is more than infuriating. It is an utter disaster, & absolutely impossible to live with.

Ok I know a few things definitely about the noise: it occurs only when outside temp hits 3.5*C & below: screen says 'Heat compressor active' (so the outside fan unit -plus- the problem indoor unit both spring to life, but only one is disruptive): these awful noisy active periods last 10 mins: the silent time between them approx 40 mins: noise is the indoor unit's pump, more specifically engaging at its highest 'rate': it seems to have a few 'gears' ranging from its usual daytime "2nd gear" (just bearable, tho a continual annoying pump whine in the spare room) to a far more prominent "4th gear" high speed mode infuriatingly only heard during these awful overnight 10 minute bursts, prominent enough to be easily heard in every corner of the house (annoying is an understatement: it is prominent enough to wake you rooms away, & infuriatingly audible).

Apologies for length of this post. But I cannot describe the problem with any less description.
It is imo quite simply unfit for purpose, no question, but Vaillant refuse to fix it/ refuse to acknowledge its an issue now/ challenging me on it now/ Im being fobbed off from dept to dept now after so many visits too (let alone massive number of calls, emails). I'm left high & dry, defeated, depressed, angry & very very cold. All I want is for it to do nothing overnight, as Im told by Vaillant themselves it should do: many of them tell me " it shouldn't come on overnight.. it shouldn't be doing that overnight". Im given concrete assurances by the head UK engineer, to me here, twice I asked him for reassurance the boards would solve it/ stop it coming on overnight "yes.. absolutely.. 100%.. it's a software fault & new boards designed to solve it" he says to me. Boards fitted. But 2 months later, temp drops, exactly the same happens again 2.10 am to 6 am, night after night. Not fixed at all.

Thanks so much for reading. SC.

Sponsored Links
Welcome to DIYnot.
Could you simply run the indoor unit from a plug-in timeswitch ?

Hi Alec (Im also in wales). I think I see rough idea of what you mean, but having to turn off whole thing, & on again like I'll be doing tmrw 8 am freezing my nuts off (2*c now.. so a v.cold night in store again).. i have to also press 'reset' button on this wretched unit to fire it up again.

So this means your idea wont work, I'll still have to go press reset.

I also am concerned about turning the whole caboodle off (nothing of concern inside, the spare room with the cylinder and this awful unit in doesn't drop below 12*c even on a v. cold night) the outside fan/ compressor unit I mean, in case it needs to be on, to do something or other to keep itself from freezing. I know the system is designed to go into a 'frost protect' mode, & display says these words so Im told (so this wretched overnight noise -isn't- this frost protection mode) so it's hardly ideal turning it all off then on again every night and following morning. It is very much designed to be on continuously for econo reasons i believe.

thanks tho.. its a useful suggestion. Its really how I tackle this company to rectify this issue was my point. Fwiw I have spent months with 3 different service dept engineers on countless calls trying all possible setting configs under the sun to try to make it shut the f&&k up overnight, without a jot of success.

Sponsored Links
Did you say it was 7 months old? If so, could you get the installers back and get them to take a look?

Could it be frost stat related Has anyone said?

another useful idea (bodes well, i think im on the right site!).

But as I just mentioned in reply to Alec, i asked the Vaillant engineer today who said if it was a frost protection thing then it would say so whilst doing it: there are 2 displays, every facet of info. So what does it say during these awful 10 min noise bursts at 3.25 am? Before the two new boards fitted it said "Heat compressor active.. standby". After boards fitted " Heat compressor active.. heating overrun". But the exact same noise thing happening. So that is weird. Why this slightly different wording? I asked engineer about 'heating overrun', he said its a mode that occasionally happens just after your heating period ends like 15 mins or so after he said. Well, my heating stops at 9.20pm. Heating overrun (whatever on earth this actually is, or for) has nothing to do with, therefore, any low temp situations per se.

So something is definitely wrong with it, Vaillant themselves wouldn't have had new boards designed specifically - so they told me - to address this very overnight noise issue, the chief engineer told me in person right here, was not only me having an issue with. But now fitted, & the same thing occuring (bar one different word 'overrun').. I just sense total bullsh*t. I mean how can I not? When I queried if these boards - which i never saw- were actually real, the engineer today (who fitted them himself months ago) absolutely flew at me with nasty accusations. The whole thing an utter disgraceful mess, immensely stressful.

The vaillant guy was here today, unrelated to this noise issue: he was here again because this same wretched unit went pop wed night, water spewing out, due to me manually letting in cold water too fast ( i have to do 2 x a week due to a seperate minor outside leak the installers refused to fix.. yet another visit yesterday by my installers Co! this, thank god actually fixed after months trying to get them to).. IE outside leak created low pressure warnings (system shuts down) Im told to remedy myself in meantime.

So you see along with this noise issue, Ive had another months long battle, over another simple yet infuriatingly protracted thing.. one damn leak, which led to another more serious leak ( engineer coming f or visit no. 11 on tuesday.. because he had to order a part for the box to rectify the spewing leak!!).

I am so exhausted with it. Hence I desperately need help now. i just can't cope anymore alone. Thx SC

Could it possibly be a leak on the hot water or a dripping hot tap.

Did you say it was 7 months old? If so, could you get the installers back and get them to take a look?

Hi MJN. 7 months yup. Installers useless, not prepared to fix a leak for all this time.. so fat chance on this noise problem. Ive had many suggest installers, to approach them (even said so themselves "go to us 1st & before Vaillant if any probs" on install day). But hopeless, i did try them prior to Vaillant about it. No interest. Nor what could they do anyway is my belief: i just cant see it as their perogative to fix.. if.. Vaillant themselves have determined it to be a software fault. Which surely it can only be. I mean installers cant be responsible, nor have the physical or digital devices, to rectify this. So with respect, i cannot really understand the suggestion of 'go to installers' if they haven't made the equipment, especially if I have a 5 year guarantee with Vaillant, the people who have made it. So I find this confusing as to a suggestion.

I can only understand the suggestion by way of it being the 'normal protocol' to. Yes understood. But if I had handed this problem over to installers, to then approach Vaillant for me (as i can only think the logic of the suggestion actually implies).. I wouldn't have had one Vaillant visit let alone 10. My installers are not interested in any 'aftercare' towards me. None. Zilch. They might appear to, give false impressions they're onto it for me, as they did for a few weeks.. but when I called to chase up noone had any idea, noone interested, a strong sense my issue discarded.

So I only have one realistic avenue, Vaillant. And I have a 5 year warranty. Its what can I do now. Thx SC

Could it possibly be a leak on the hot water or a dripping hot tap.

The overnight noise Bodd? Well if you mean 'see whether the just-yesterday-fixed-outside-leak might make any difference to the noise'.. i must admit, the idea hadn't crossed my mind. But I just cant see how there is any correlation between the two issues.

Im not sure tho you are referring to this seperate minor leak issue ive had at all tho? I bet you didn't know i had an entirely seperate pesky leak issue-? Or did you i wonder..

thx SC

A solution to the noise issue only would be to put the power supply to the units on a timeclock.

Is that you Zoot?

I couldn't exhaust everyone asking anymore on this damn prob over there. I went a bit nuts due to stress. Plus I lost trust too/ needed a sebatical (only on this CH issue thats got me so down it's actually making me ill MJN, i just cant deal with any nasty replies at the mo: i think you understand, after my last post..).

I needed a fresh set of ears MJN. Just for this topic. Thx z.. SC

A solution to the noise issue only would be to put the power supply to the units on a timeclock.

Hi polesapart. Wow. A solution! A prospective solution! Omg youve no idea how sweet just this is to read.

If you could eleaborate, Id be very grateful. I am not actually any such diy minded maestro, at all: I only jumped on board here out of a hunch its a good site, plus sheer exhaustive desperation.

(saying that.. I am in fact a tube amp diy enthusiast, plus can build some basic housey stuff, so please do elaborate away! I'll come back tmrw.. ive a terrible stress headache now.) thx SC

I couldn't exhaust everyone asking anymore on this damn prob over there. I went a bit nuts due to stress. Plus I lost trust too/ needed a sebatical (only on this CH issue thats got me so down it's actually making me ill MJN, i just cant deal with any nasty replies at the mo: i think you understand, after my last post..).

I needed a fresh set of ears MJN. Just for this topic. Thx z.. SC

Totally understand, and you don't have to explain.

For what it's worth, they (we) meant well. There was a *lot* of effort put in by many to try and resolve your issue(s). I'll leave it at that. Finger's crossed for you; I'm sure you'll get there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back