Awful CH trouble.

Just curious. What settings do you have for set-back temperature, eco mode, party mode?

oh man I think ive stumbled on the right forum.. you seem to know some of the inner brain of this damn thing. Party mode?! Vaillant wtf is that?

ok. Setback Vaillant ape set to 10*c, i told him of the noise, he decided this figure, seems spot on ( on coldest two nights, room got to 12*c 4am, but not seen lower).

eco mode and party function.. i have no clue. But i could delve in to locate, i think i know where, tmrw if you want me to?

Sponsored Links
you say you had system water leaks, what pressure is the system water at now ?
Installers wedged cylinder dial behind woodwork.. so cannot see to give accurate figure, but approx 1.3 bar.

This is normally a site which concentrates on solving technical problems, you have been referred to Trading Standards if you think it's beyond fixing, however if you are prepared to help yourself a little (which may mean getting up close to this machine when it wakes you), here are some pointers that may help you gain evidence either to work with the installer/manufacturer, or with which to beat them.

You have indicated that the problem only occurs on cold nights:-

There is a function described in your manual on page 27 (frost protection) When the outside air temp is detected to be below 4C the unit will run the compressor and the pump.....IF the differential on the heating pipes is wrong (it doesn't qualify further). You can observe if this is active by looking at status display S34.

Likewise S107 shows if the Heating Overrun is active, here only the pump and fan (outside?) run.
S104 indicates when if the compressor is active.

So...is the noise that wakes you caused by the compressor, the pump, the fan, or a combination?

SPOT ON MM.. Im absolutely up for getting up personal with it, and very pleased to hear this is a techincal forum: Ive fluked it, but Im good at hunches, Im in the right place. Fantastic.

If I can rebuild a hand wired '79 fender twin reverb, from scratch, Im up for it.
---
Yes exactly. Im certain even of the figure i thought 3.5*c , so corresponds almost bang on with your 4*c. Even to have found this, in my manual?! You are the man. Flippin ace. Tbh more competent than the Vaillant apes by all accounts too! No q about it.

Right need time to delve into rest of your reply. Huge thanks SC

This is normally a site which concentrates on solving technical problems, you have been referred to Trading Standards if you think it's beyond fixing, however if you are prepared to help yourself a little (which may mean getting up close to this machine when it wakes you), here are some pointers that may help you gain evidence either to work with the installer/manufacturer, or with which to beat them.

You have indicated that the problem only occurs on cold nights:-

There is a function described in your manual on page 27 (frost protection) When the outside air temp is detected to be below 4C the unit will run the compressor and the pump.....IF the differential on the heating pipes is wrong (it doesn't qualify further). You can observe if this is active by looking at status display S34.

Likewise S107 shows if the Heating Overrun is active, here only the pump and fan (outside?) run.
S104 indicates when if the compressor is active.

So...is the noise that wakes you caused by the compressor, the pump, the fan, or a combination?
Right. Your post here needs careful picking apart to answer. Ok starting with your last Q: noise is caused 95% by the pump. The whirring spinning something within it. A motor i assume. The noise was concurred is indeed 'pump' by Vaillant chap on friday (via my ipad clip taken at 3 am i showed him.. sorry im inept at updoing it to here).

Just to repeat. It is only during these 6 to 10 min 3.20am bursts, that the pump is in this extra high pitched, extra high 'gear' i call it, setting. Usually it is far far less prominent, so during day its in '2nd gear'.

The only other time it goes into this "4 th gear" awful racket.. is immediately upon turning big placcy huge swictch i go to to turn whole thing off, and on. So at 8 am, i turn it on, 4th gear whirrrrrrrrr, then i press reset, and it comes on again in 2 nd gear. And i relax.

Sponsored Links
@MeldrewsMate

Im taking a break right now, exhausted tbh! but will pick it up tmrw afresh.. cars kaput so im home allday.

Then will go over replies, do all answers and whatever asked to do within the controller.

Flippin marvellous. Thanks folks. G'nite for now.

@MeldrewsMate

Just going thru your post yesterday. Ive found the pg 27 frost protection info, see the 4*c fig. Ok I see the tantalising words " note: competent person can set the frost protection delay time". Ok good. But 1 st:

Can you make any sense of the latter section of this info: " If the outdoor temp falls below 4.... & brings the target room temp to 5*c." ??

I cannot understand what room it might be referring to, the figure of 5*c therefore seems totally arbitrary: but it implies perhpas that this 5*c figure is as inherently important as to what it mode it is doing, as the 4*c figure ( this is understadable, concurrs with what I find of 3.5*c more or less).

thx sc

@MeldrewsMate

I believe my manual is not yours. I have a 25 pg manual, the frost protection info on pg 4, and doesnt include any of the ".. differential.." info . It seems mine a condensed version of your info.

you seem to know some of the inner brain of this damn thing.
Afraid not. I just googled 'vrc 693 sensor' and came up with a link to the VRC630 controller manual. Even if that isn't the exact one you have it may be similar. I assume 'party mode' is some sort of over-ride and 'eco mode' involves some standby operation, either of which might involve some activity outside the normal programmed hours. You don't hold 2am parties, do you? :D

OP it would be helpful if you would post the model numbers of your "inside" and "outside" units.

Afraid not. I just googled 'vrc 693 sensor' and came up with a link to the VRC630 controller manual. Even if that isn't the exact one you have it may be similar. I assume 'party mode' is some sort of over-ride and 'eco mode' involves some standby operation, either of which might involve some activity outside the normal programmed hours. You don't hold 2am parties, do you? :D

Aha ok. I did of course google vrc 693, found this site & off i shot like a rat up a drainpipe... ill go find that manual then.

One tricky thing for the layman, is vague terms like ".. standby" and over-ride is similar. It leaves me just the same blank as 'party mode'. No partaays here. Rural west wales. Id get strung up being an english pig. Hog tied:mrgreen:

I was hoping to have tried something with help from @MeldrewsMate or some pointers as to what possibly i could try in the frost mode, before the engineer visit tmrw. Mm sounds more clued up than this guy you see.

OP it would be helpful if you would post the model numbers of your "inside" and "outside" units.
Hi polesapart. Yes of course. I do not have any model number on indoor unit, or any manual. Nor for the outside fan unit. I only have cylinder and the small digi controller manuals.

The troublesome indoor unit 'hydraulic station':
  • Vaillant hydraulic station VWL57 / 5 IS for aroTHERM Split (i copied this from an ebay listing, for a 3kw system.. mine is a 7.5kw.. but images identical, & so i assume model number of this too).

Oh man Im getting really despondent again.

I had thought, after explaining, then the great replies hinting (to me) with thoughtful terrific suggestions on how to progress.. that i could start to perhaps formulate a plan, to try tackling this. But the replies seem to have just stopped, & I dont understand this, let alone the system, let alone how on earth I can progress to try tackling it.

I desperately, desperately need help chaps. Please, please, please can someone help.

I still do not know what on earth it is doing overnight. Its a great suggestion it could be in some form of frost protect.. but because the screen tells me nothing of the sort (when it surely would say ' frost mode' or similar if it was) its as likely it is doing some form of frost protection, as not at all, if, instead it says two different things "standby" (which is meaningless, before the new boards fitted by Vaillant) then, after they've been fitted "heat overrun" (again not one word suggesting frost protection). Both implying it is doing something - other - than frost protection.

It doing exactly the same problem thing after boards fitted, which I was told they were specifically fitted & designed to fix this overnight issue.. means Ive no idea what they were for. Or why fitted. As they have done nothing whatsoever. Im at a total and utter loss, still, after 7 months, trying to find out, what it is doing, what it could be doing, what it likely is doing overnight. Is it a fault? Is it not a fault? What were the boards for? Were there even any at all or was I hoodwinked??

Im back to square 1 & i cannot even get to square 2.. let alone square 3, a pipe dream to progress onwards.

Only when I know what it is doing, can I formulate a plan, to fix it. If its only conjecture what its doing, then its guesswork throwing ideas at it (exactly as ive been trying for 7 months with xyz settings, even a pump changed Vaillant convincing me now its quieter, when its identical, so what was the point of changing it at all, plus the bizarre boards changing doing nothing... driving me into near insanity).

If someone could help, with ideas to try to identify what (precisely, definitely, once & for all) it might be doing. Could someone help on this? Frost protection is one. Standby? Heat overrun? These are the clues im given, but frustratingly cryptic, or total misnomers maybe?? Mistake words maybe??

Last edited:
Sorry but Vaillant are the experts they have attended and worked on the unit, you can only keep up dialogue with them, I dont see how you expect someone on here who has never worked on your unit to know more than Vaillant do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back