Awkward piping for small radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem getting two 22mm T's into a heating system flow and return pipework to install a towel radiator.
  • The flow and return 22mm copper pipes are soldered and set in a concrete kitchen floor!
    The pipes travel behind the kitchen units without access anywhere apart from where you see. Pipes have no movement.
    My solution was drain down, de-solder elbows, cut and shut new fittings (two 22mm T's) and resolder whole job with feeds for rads.
    labourious job!
    Does anybody have a simple solution??
:cry:
aWKWARDPIPEScopy.gif

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No such thing as a miracle cure, special do all tool OR an easy job

:)

corgiman said:
No such thing as a miracle cure, special do all tool OR an easy job

:)

Hang on a minute, I seem to remember a new special tool coming on the market especially designed for seemingly impossible jobs like this. It was evidentally designed by a heating engineer of many years experience. I saw one recently at a plumbers merchants and remember thinking "wow! not only is that a really good idea, but also suprisingly cheap".

Buggered if I can remember what it was called though.

Sorry about that.

Was thinking of a compression fitting like your garden tap "cut in" type thing...but these fittings are not very good long term!
Why oh why do get installs without thought for maintainance or future changes??

Mike2007 said:
Was thinking of a compression fitting like your garden tap "cut in" type thing...but these fittings are not very good long term!
Why oh why do get installs without thought for maintainance or future changes??

NO!!!

the small disc that is cut out could damage your boiler, other than that it will look total shyte

Sounds like a job for a couple of slip joints - they slide all the way over the pipes so you don't have to 'spring' them to splice a new section in.

The special tool you need to ask for is called a "Heating Engineer" ™.

When you get it home, just pour money in the pockets, and sugared tea in the hole that swears a lot, and miracle cures will spew forth at an alarming rate.

PS - Some retailers call this a "Facking plumber innit mate?" - this is the same tool going under a different brand, but they're made in the same factory.

I expect Elite is thinking of
this sort of thing which can make a Tee in situ.
Might be easier to remove one cupd though.

Now I know all you guys use a Rothenberger tee-extractor to form a joint, can anyone lend me theirs for a couple of days?? :LOL:

Hands in the air...who owns one??

Job done...and did not need to sweat too much about it! De-soldered elbows, lifted them off the vertical pipes, cut'n'shut a 22mm tee. Rad heating up great.
Hard to see a ring of solder in that position but its held anyway! :eek:
Thanks guys..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back