B/gas must be to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I doubt you will believe me when i tell you this. I have drank in this pub for years and last month it changed hands and a new landlord took over,it is a big boozer and has got massive living accomadation above it were the last landlady lived with her husband and had her kids and grandkids staying all the time. The new landlord lived 5 mile away so he decided to stay at his family home and not uproot his wife and kids,so british gas come out the day he was taking over and done as far i can tell,a landlord safety check but it was done for the brewery,anyway,last week he got ****ed and the barmaid took his car keys and he went up to the flat upstairs and got his head down,found dead the next day,with the fire still on.He died fron c/m and when B/Gas were informed,they comne out and said"must be paint fumes" crazy.The fire was removed and the flue was blocked ,it had collapsed.They say "it was ok,last month".Can they just say that and get away with it,if so whats the point of having these different safety bodies

Sponsored Links
Firstly let me say how tragic that tale is, as with all open flued appiances this danger is always lurking in the just shadows to snatch antyof us.
gas fires being the major source of this particular terror.
any open fire be it coal gas wood etc can cause this.
british gas are no more an authority than any other independent heating contractor in the business and are govered by the same rules and regulations than all the rest.
people often assume that they are better than others but thats not the case since they were privatised.
first off as with any other death, its the police and the coroner, the matter has to be reported to the HSE who will fully investigate as will corgi.
no stone will be left unturned, if blame is to be apportioned then the guilty party will be prosecuted to the full weight of the law.
the 1985 gas regulations are bound in criminal law not civil law and the wieght of penalty carries a prison sentence.
NO this wont be swept under the carpet, but neither will it be investigated by bar flies and rumour, consider what if the chimmney could have collapsed, a safety check is like an mot, its only good at the time of the check a snapshot in time.
and again I'm sorry to read of such a tragedy at this time of the year..

Thank you whatdoiknow for a really good reply,i agree it is hard in this job,to test a appliance and get all the right readings and visually everything is fine then within a month,something has happenend it is a tough call,i know if i was that b/gas man who done this check id be totally gutted but also if i knew i had done my job id be able to keep my head up

So, what boozer was that in then Alan, it's the first i've heard of it (only read the footie in the echo though I must admit).

Sponsored Links
There was a fatality in worcestershire in December...not thinking of that one?

I left my kids at my mums once for a few hours, she has 3 star cover with b/gas, back boiler and fire had been serviced (allegedly) 2 months previously, when i came back i noticed an odd smell, looked over to fire and saw orange flames reflecting from back boiler onto tiles on fire place, quickly turned it off and opened windows etc. there was sooty deposits building up on fireplace rapidly, so glad i came back when i did. When b/gas came out the guy said he was ashamed of the work the previous engineer had done and was going to report it.I have since replaced boiler and fire with a combi and new fire.

This was a lad in his fourties ,alehouse the aintree pub,bootle ,just 200 yards from walton jail,i will get you the number if you want scatty

There dont seem to be any pubs called that listed in Liverpool!

Is this yet another of your childish pieces of nonsence?

Quoting someone elses number to encourage hoax calls can be a criminal offence! Or is it your own?

So can maliciously saying those kind of things about BG !

Do you already have a record?

Tony

I must say I have done a search and called some mates who would know and I cannot find any record of a death such as this?

strange they should keep it quiet

Just to say that there is an Aintree pub in Bootle on Aintree lane, I know it well, though I've never drank around there and don't know about the landlord dying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back