B&Q - How much compensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I’ve had endless problems with a B&Q kitchen fitting and the worktops they delivered. My worktops have already been replaced 3 times due to a number of workman errors, defects and bowing.

They have delivered the latest worktop (to be fitted by their contractor) and had assured us it had been checked and there was no defects.

I have attached an image of a sizeable knot that has clearly been filled in the manufacturing process (or in store). Is this normal for a new timber worktop? Would you send this back/ask for a replacement.

I’m obviously aware knots occur but this is quite large and I didn’t think they would fill it before sending it out - I presumed filler would be used for a knot further down the line. The knot is maybe 4cm in length.

I’ve attached an image. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1A4B982D-AFCC-4AB4-B164-A40286E603F9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
its pretty common with budget timber worktops -it wouldnt surprise me if these were a Chinese source

I bet its described as an acceptable flaw in the product description

for quality oak worktops its best to go to worktop express

I would describe it as seconds, fine if you were told you are buying seconds but no acceptable at full price.That said the repair is poor .

Hi Everyone,

I don’t want to bore you with endless details so I’ll try to abbreviate this query as much as possible?

We were due to have a kitchen fitted in September but this was postponed one month. When the fitters arrived (contracted by B&Q) they appeared intermittently and on many occasions failed to show when promised. After two weeks it became clear they were completely unqualified for the job and the level of workmanship was utterly appalling (worktops not fixed to the units, large gaps, end panels not reaching the units etc). It was clear they weren’t kitchen professionals and upon raising the issues we were verbally abused by them. This was all reported to B&Q’s kitchen manager who effectively forced us to have them back out to the property and repeatedly refused to escalate our complaints to the store manager. She had also been someone abusive to us in an earlier issue.

After they continued to cause more issues it was finally conceded that new fitters were required and the kitchen was to be assessed. We requested a full refit in November but we’re told that wouldn’t be necessary and it would be rectified. New fitters attended in November but more and more issues became apparent and we were told they would come out in the new year. The fitters failed to come out in Jan as promised and eventually arrived in Feb. Once again they came out but after they had ‘finished’ there was again a multitude of issues.

Another fitter has now come out this month and refused to work on the property because of the state of the workmanship. There are large holes in our walls behind worktops and chunks out the units. B&Q have now agreed that the kitchen now needs ripped out and started again. A date has not been fixed but it is now 7 months from the initial date of install.

This only scratches the surface of problems we’ve had with B&Q. It has been an extremely awful situation and has had a severe impact on our wellbeing. They had offered us £1500 of compensation in Nov under the pretense the fitters then would rectify the problems. Now we’re going to be the best part of a year on before we have a completed kitchen - it should have taken approximately a week to fit.

Any idea of what level of compensation we should be looking for would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't even be looking at compensation until it is actually completed to your satisfaction.

If you agree a figure now and it doesn't get fitted to a good standard it leaves you stranded.

Get it sorted 1st. Let them know you are considering the offer but not accepting anything yet

As it's going to be a 'good will gesture' on the part of B&Q, don't expect much more than what they value as your actual losses. You can either accept what they offer or take them to court and sue.

What's Sue done?

Hi everyone,

To cut a long story short, we’ve had a nightmare kitchen fitting with B&Q with endless trouble over the last 8/9 months. We were supplied unqualified cowboy fitters that delivered unimaginable levels of poor joinery, we had initial delays, we’ve been abused by staff and fitters, had damage to our own property, endless lies from B&Q, an assessor that came out and claimed it didn’t need refitted, subsequent joiners that but we’re left with loads of problems, promises they would attend but then radio silence and then third joiners who came out and discovered further damage (huge holes cut in our walls etc) and said the workmanship is joke. This only touches the surface.

B&Q have now (after 7 months) agreed the whole thing needs ripped out, the damage repaired and fitted again. New joiners (that will hopefully be an improvement) start the work this week.

We are obviously going to wait until the work is complete to discuss compensation but I just want to ask how much (in your experience) is a reasonable amount to push for?

The strain on our well-being and the stress has been horrific. It’s cost us a fortune in time off work etc alone. It’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made.

If I were to opt to go down the legal route, does anyone have any advice?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Try a phone calm to BBC , see if they are interested for their consumer programme .
Small claims court is easy option as proof is just down to providing reasonable evidence of poor workmanship though reward is limited .
( Currently 10k in most cases)
Big firms like B&Q often don’t even turn up to defend due to cost and ineptitude meaning you win case by default .

Try a phone calm to BBC , see if they are interested for their consumer programme .
Small claims court is easy option as proof is just down to providing reasonable evidence of poor workmanship though reward is limited .
Thanks. I have proof of nearly everything with the exception of conversations and proof of the verbal abuse we received from B&Q - I do however have the emails of us reporting that and the kitchen manager subsequently forcing us to have those same joiners back out (effectively telling us they will charge us anyway and leave us with an incomplete job). Having done my due dillegnce it would appear those fitters had no experience in kitchen fitting despite the B&Q advertisments saying they will supply ‘trusted, experienced tradespeople and a hastle free service’. I even have emails of them trying to get us to sign completion documents with a half finished kitchen and repeated refusal to escalate any of our complaints.

Really, I have mountains of evidence. Dozens of photos, videos, emails etc.

We’re not even out of the woods yet as we’re only just back to square one.

I think it will probably take small claims to get fair compensation from what I’ve read. BBC is a good shout though albeit I’d be reluctant for my case to be public.

Thanks!

You need to first quantify your losses.
Anything that left you out of pocket, days off work, damaged items in your home, damage to property that you mentioned, etc.
Then go about expenditures. This is a bit of a more long winded job where you need to itemise all bits that you bought yourself for example, fuel to go up and down b&q, even extra electricity if you have the bills.
Then there's the compensation part of the claim: first of all calculate how much time you wasted on this and itemise everything.
For example: email to b&q 15/03/2023 @ 12:45 = 15 minutes
Telephone call to 030088888888 15/03/2023 @ 12:45 = 25 minutes
There's a fixed rate in county court, some time ago was £19/hour, but you can always ask for your hourly rate which you will back up with your payslip.
After all, my argument is that if your employer pays your time £50/hour, that's how much your time is worth.
Judge will decide if that's fair or not.
Finally, there's the compensation for distress.
That's a bit of a gamble because judges don't seem too keen on awarding much for this.
Apart from the few cases reaching the press where the award is very large, usually the level of compensation is below the £1000 mark.
If you have home insurance, usually they have a free legal advice line where you can ask how much is appropriate to ask.
It's a lot of work to put all the evidence in order so that a third party can understand what went wrong, so start filing everything in chronological order and write down all dates in an index.
Save all communication in pdf format, that will save time later.
However, once they finish with the kitchen and you're happy, you will need to file a formal complaint to b&q and ask for compensation within 14 days.
After that you'll send a letter of claim giving another 14 days to pay up and if they don't you file a county court claim (small claim)
I only dealt with b&q once on behalf of a customer for panels damaged in transit.
They were pretty good, replaced the panels (even though damage was discovered 2 months after delivery) and paid £50 compensation for the trouble of having wasted time on a few long telephone calls.

Go and see a solicitor...lots have free consultations and will give you good advice on if you can, where you can and when you should launch legal action. Having a solicitor to front up your complaint immediately says you are taking it seriously its about £250 for a letter of complaint, if its more than 10k then ask for a barrister's opinion....solicitors tend to write speculative letters, my client feels that ... barrister opinion states the law...under section x of x you have failed in your duty to ...and therefore my client is owed x

Last edited:
Agree with legal advice.

But personally I would get the job done 1st, and be very, very careful what I signed. Would only look at compensation once the job is done to satisfaction. You might have more aggro to get through yet, but I hope not.

Sponsored Links
Back