back boiler - combi?

H

harrisonline

I've got a back boiler and want to change it for a modern one with a more trendy front fire. Is this possible. I asked the man that services it for me and he said I'd be better off getting a combi/condenser!

I like having an airing cupboard and an hot water tank.

Also in my last house I had a combi and it broke down all the time. My back boiler here is donkeys years old and touch wood has never had a problem.

What I really want to know is can you get trendy back boilers and will they fot in the gap?

Sponsored Links
why don't you just ask him for a conventional condensing boiler, not a combi, then fit a fire as well?

It's very unlikely you'll be able to fit a back boiler without falling foul of the building regs. Go for a standard or system condensing boiler.

thanks. Where could the standard condenser boiler go? Does it have to be near anything already in my system for example?

Sponsored Links

Is that the local drawl you are picking up Kev?

OP, if you are happy with the boiler, the "trendy" fire could cost you several thousand quid if you change the whole system. Maybe it is possible to change the fire for a one of the last models they made.
I am sure there are a couple guys on here that know all about back boilers. Personally, I hate them and condemn most that I come across.

what model bbu is it.unless its a baxi 401 forget a decent looking fire.

and if you want an inset fire again forget it

Sorry for the late reply.

The only info I can find on the fire is.. Glow worm co-ordinate LFL.

All new and replacement boilers have to meet a minimum efficiency. Back boilers do not meet this standard. However they can be fitted in exceptional circumstances which are laid down in the Exceptions Guide, which are very stringent.

If you want to retain your hot water cylinder, you could consider putting the boiler in your attic (assuming you have one). Though that will incur additional expense in providing a safe environment for the engineer to work - loft ladder, flooring, lighting, and guard rail.

You won't be able to replace the fire front on this.

A lot of the parts for this fire front are now obsolete. I have a whole tenanted estate full that I look after and dread it if they need a part.

I guess its either a combi or a standard condenser then! Which one is the most work/most expensive?

Not that much in it in price.

You need to decide which is best for your HW usage and life style, but I would assume that the HW cylinder is as old as the boiler, so would need replacing as well.

Well I do like having an airing cupboard to put clothes if they are still a bit damp off the line. But I wouldn't mind loosing the cold water tanks in the attick. So its about 50% 50%.

The combi in the last house was a really noisy affair that broke down about once a year. Also the hot water didn't seem as reliable as a tank of water but then you didnt have to wait for the tank to warm up! So I am still debating!

Where is the most common place for people to put a standard condenser or a combi when they upgrade from a back boiler?

I find it is the kitchen or airing cupboard.

Not so much the roof these days due to the extra costs and regs involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back