Back boiler to new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a victorian house with a Housewarmer 45 boiler, which has ben and still is working fine since 1986. It has inhibitor and is quiet.
I'm thinking of initially changing the boiler to a modern, probably condenser type.
Next to the chimney breast where the back boiler is, is a suitable cupboard, with an outside wall to the side of it.
How much could it cost to swap the boilers, leaving the existing pipework and radiators as they are?
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
No idea on costs because it would be a conversion, you don’t mention the type of boiler make and model which attributes to the overall cost. Get 3 independent quotes, but tbh I would keep what you have - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

No idea on costs because it would be a conversion, you don’t mention the type of boiler make and model which attributes to the overall cost. Get 3 independent quotes, but tbh I would keep what you have - if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Hi C,
I just wanted a ball park price, with no particular type. I think they're between £500 and £1000, depending.
I'm thinking about what to do if the old one breaks down, so I have a plan.
C

Reactions: CBW
Loads of variables. Budget at least £2k, more if you need the work done quickly due to failure. As above, get some prices- best avoid the nationals, look for local engineers (ask your neighbours). To take full advantage of a condensing boiler you might want to look at replacing the radiators with larger ones (which will heat the rooms effectively with lower flow temps thus allowing the boiler to condense properly).

Sponsored Links
Loads of variables. Budget at least £2k, more if you need the work done quickly due to failure. As above, get some prices- best avoid the nationals, look for local engineers (ask your neighbours). To take full advantage of a condensing boiler you might want to look at replacing the radiators with larger ones (which will heat the rooms effectively with lower flow temps thus allowing the boiler to condense properly).
Hi O,
£2K ish at the low end sounds ok, I have been looking around, and can see there are lots of variables.
Good point about the radiators, I think they can be swapped pretty easily.
Thanks.
C

Hi C,
I just wanted a ball park price, with no particular type. I think they're between £500 and £1000, depending.
I'm thinking about what to do if the old one breaks down, so I have a plan.
C
I did similar a while ago, Baxi back boiler to combi. Fitted an Intergas combi as open vented. Total cost including boiler was just short of £4k

Change over retained non pressurised status, had a vertices flue through the roof, old boiler still there to allow existing fire to be available for use

I did similar a while ago, Baxi back boiler to combi. Fitted an Intergas combi as open vented. Total cost including boiler was just short of £4k

Change over retained non pressurised status, had a vertices flue through the roof, old boiler still there to allow existing fire to be available for use
Hi D,
Ok, a high end boiler by the look of them.

You don't mention radiators, so I assume yours were ok. I can look them up ok.

I'm not sure whether to keep the water tank or not as, if there's a power cut, there's still hot water for hours.
Thanks, C

Hi,
Regarding the "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" comment, I agree. The world tends to throw things out after a short while because the new 'thing' has a slight change.

I have an old van 2004 and a 1993 car, both keep going, and if they break too much I'll change them. The car is open top and I went to an open air eeting, and parked next to someone I know, who said "why are you driving around in that old thing for", I just laughed, but he doesn't know how much fun I get out of it driving the country lanes, looking for a walk. I come from an age where we didn't things to throw away :)

A problem with this heating system is: If anythng needs doing, that requires emptying the system, it is hard to get the air out of it, because the 1986 plumber didn't add the bleed pipe, only the fill pipe, so the air has be got out by the various valves around the system, then the last bit pumped out with a vacuum pump, which I have done a couple of times.
Also the tanks are galvanised, with 2x tanks joined together and all pretty ancient.
C

Regarding the "if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it" comment, I agree. The world tends to throw things out after a short while because the new 'thing' has a slight change.

I agree with this comment a little bit but one has to remember preventative maintainance is crucial else the boiler will break down and at times there are no comebacks and replacement is required.

Often boilers are serviced without opening the case or having makers manual to hand to follow what the makers require the service protocol to be. Such services eventually introduce multiple defects in the appliance

Imagine not carrying out yearly service on an open flue back boiler- these eventually clog up and heat exchanger soots up for flames to then find alternative flow to the flue- quite dramatic

Hi D,
Ok, a high end boiler by the look of them.

You don't mention radiators, so I assume yours were ok. I can look them up ok.

I'm not sure whether to keep the water tank or not as, if there's a power cut, there's still hot water for hours.
Thanks, C

How often does one have power cuts.
If you wish to keep the cylinder, do so by all means but cylinder will need replaced ( unless already done) and system be fully umped and interlocked.

In this case chose a heat only boiler.

My suggestion opted for combi and boiler being left open vented.

Radiators- it is just a big lump that gives off heat when water flows through it. If these are unsightly, by all means replace them

I agree with this comment a little bit but one has to remember preventative maintainance is crucial else the boiler will break down and at times there are no comebacks and replacement is required.

Often boilers are serviced without opening the case or having makers manual to hand to follow what the makers require the service protocol to be. Such services eventually introduce multiple defects in the appliance

Imagine not carrying out yearly service on an open flue back boiler- these eventually clog up and heat exchanger soots up for flames to then find alternative flow to the flue- quite dramatic
Hi D,
We've been warned that due to trouble makers, we may experience power cuts.

I serviced the boiler a while ago, fitted the Gas valve and spark and cleaned the jets etc. This is a cast iron boiler, no no heat exchanger. I have a gas alarm for any leaks.

In #4 there is advice to update radiator, which I think should be considered.
C

Hi D,
We've been warned that due to trouble makers, we may experience power cuts.

I serviced the boiler a while ago, fitted the Gas valve and spark and cleaned the jets etc. This is a cast iron boiler, no no heat exchanger. I have a gas alarm for any leaks.

In #4 there is advice to update radiator, which I think should be considered.
C
Do not understand “ no no heat exchanger”
How did you set the burner pressure when gas valve was changed
I know it is cast iron heat exchanger.
How did you check the flue and carry out spillage test

Gas alarm? To do what?

Hi,
Interesting chat! I have the answers to my questions.
Thanks.
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back