Cast iron boiler efficiency

Thanks all,

It seems to be a good tip, I wonder why they don't add it to inhibitor?

A mate of mine says he's heard of this tip, but not to use a full bottle or the expansion tank will overflow with bubbles, so now to decide how much?

I just added a small squirt to see what happens.

I must say that it is refreshing to find you plumbers, that have used this idea on paying jobs, instead of charging for a new boiler instantly, which would be more profit. Well done.

Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Tho` I know about the judicious use of Fairy Liquid ;) I`ve had good results from Fernox F2 boiler noise silencer :idea:

These remedies work by altering the surface tension of the bubbles, I'm told.

Whether this is true or not, it only brings a temporary silence. It isn't a cure.

Tho` I know about the judicious use of Fairy Liquid ;) I`ve had good results from Fernox F2 boiler noise silencer :idea:

I had a cast iron boiler fitted to my first house, but I think he added the inhibitor to the tank without letting it get into the system. This allowed it to start banging after about 5 years. I found jelly in the tank.

I cleaned it with Fernox (Not sure about the number) it needed constant system bleeding, till it did the job, then added the inhibitor, and like you got good results.

As the washing up liquid seems to be temporary, and unknown, I might invest in Fernox, because i think the boiler needs a chemical scrape.

Just had a quick look at Fernox descalers, F2 additive or DS3 medium strength or Ds40 full strength (Some plumbers are against DS40 because they make leaks in pipes and rads.) I think I might get DS40 and only pump it round the boiler, if this is possible.

Thanks, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
You need to chose a chemical to suit the problem.

But first the need to identify the problem.

If it were calcium based products then sulphamic acid ( DS3 ) would be the strong solution!

I still dont know where you are!

West Dorset sounds like Dorchester! But it could be Weymouth as well I suppose. I think your water may be somewhat hard as there are possibly some limestone rocks in the area if some water is sourced locally.

Only today I was talking about going to the Dorchester car boot but I prefer the much larger one to the west. Also the attraction of the combined Indian/Chinese eat as much as you like that looks like a boat in Weymouth.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back