Back Boiler Venting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve just moved into a new property upon where I had the back boiler serviced before i move in, I ve been told that I have been told to have a vent in living room where the fire is, the heating has been switched off until this is done.

I have purchased a 9"x9" vents for the job, does anyone know how big the hole needs to be for these vents to cover? also is any tubing required in this hole or is it a matter of drilling the hole and fix the vents<inside and outside?

I d rather drill the hole myself as I was quoted £120 to do this

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to cut out floor to fit vent. Make sure it is a gas one that can't be shut and doesn't have a fly screen, has vents sized such that you can get a 5mm ball through the slots but not a 10mm ball. Must have sufficient sized and quantity of airbricks, clear those. Musn't be any route underfloor to adjoining property/s.

Otherwise (if for instance your floor is solid)

Hire a 127mm diamond core + suitable drill with clutch, drill straight through your wall and purchase a round vent kit from aplumbers merchants. They are available in this size with a sleeve for cavity walls, and grilkl for inside and out. Cost £25 plus vat. Remove baffle for 100cm squared, leave it in for 75cm squared, Your boiler may only require 75cm squared.

find out Heat input on data badge for both boiler and fire in kilowatt (if in btu devide by 3412 to arrive at killowatt) convert to net deviding by 1.1, deduct 7 from the result, multiply by five, that's how many cm sq you need.

Questions?

floor is solid so its a hole in the wall for me, is the vents I bought no use then?

I thought I could make the hole and use plastic piping to fill the hole and then fix the vents on?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use 110mm soil pipe as such. Area is pi r sq approx 95cm squared, so most likely OK. Bermuda available in different heat input, need to look at data badge, but probably OK with your plans.

Sorry to say engineers who designde bermuda were not very clever, hope it works at least a couple of years for you.

Im gonna use it till it breaks thats the idea, upon breakage a combi boiler will replace.

Will a standard soil pip which you would use for the toilet pan suit, I think that is 6" pipe?

Is my 9"x9" vents big enough, I ve heard that the vent has to be an area of 10cm x 10cm2

9 by 9 would be more than enough. They should be printed up, but might not be. Must not have a fly screen must not be closeable. Must admit a 5mm ball but not a 10mm ball, if you don't have balls use a ruler and your imagination.

what about the 6" pipe, is this ok to use, the package on the vents states that this used for gas appliances

Reply for Allymillsy

Just a curious question. Do you get kettling on your boiler when the temp setting is high. I also have baxi bermuda back boiler and cannot stand the thing.

yep sure do, if the water is on for period of time it will melt the hand off you, there is a temperature setting where you light the pilot<you prob know this>

did you have to install a vent as well, I should be doing this tomorrow, drilling the hole will be fun!

yep sure do, if the water is on for period of time it will melt the hand off you, there is a temperature setting where you light the pilot<you prob know this>

What setting do you have it. Mine is about 2 but takes forever to heat up the CH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back