back boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have now moved and the new house has a back boiler does anyone know a rough cost of switching this to a combi and what would be involved of is it possible to replace the back boiler with a newer more energy efficiant boiler?

thanks Alan

Sponsored Links
Back boilers are often only about 55% efficient and will save a lot of gas if replaced with a condensing boiler. But BBUs were usually fitted in smaller houses with smaller gas bills so the potential for much saving is lower.

The cheapest is to just get a heat only boiler but your hot water cylinder may be old and need changing as well so that may not be so cheap either. About £1600 perhaps !

Fitting an economy combi is also a lot of work as the old boiler and cylinder have to be decomissioned so thats also about £1600 as well.

Having a Vaillant or Worcester larger power boiler will bring the price to over £2000. Add £1200 if you want it done by BG rather than the bloke on the council estate.

Tony

Yes what Tony says, and it's a hell of a lot more work than a standard boiler swap but one day it has to be done..

Sponsored Links
how difficult is it to do as a diy project, Ie take out the old hotwater tank re-join the pipework. i know that i will have to re route a couple of water pipes and i also know that i cant disconnect or re connect any gas. but the rest think i could manage.? also i heard that there was a legislation that if a boiler was being replaced it had to be replaced with a a or b energy rated apliance. if this is true do the goverment have a scheme?

alscds said:
if this is true do the goverment have a scheme?

Yes various local governments run schemes of one sort or another to obtain boilers cheaper. There is Magic Boiler Scheme and Energysmart.com.

However you can get just as good a deal on the internet.

You get no help with anything else.

You need to upgrade the dhw cylinder to BS1566

Fit time and temperature control of heating and hot water.

fit and automatic bypass,

zone valves to every room or thermostatic radiator valves.

Levae one room without thermostatic valves, and place the room thermostat there.

lag pipes outside the heated zone with minimum 19mm lagging or same thickness as diameter of pipe which ever is the greater.

Get the corgi person in to check flue position and routing of condensate drain with you.

You will need to do a really ace job of cleaning out the old pipes and radiators, and I strongly recommend you fit a magnaclean or boilerbuddy.

Alternatively, retain the boiler, clean it if you want, upgrade the controls, fit a new efficient cylinder and you have a system which may not be 95% efficient, but will certainly not cost arm and a leg when it breaks down. It will also be fixable as it will not need a magic wand, magician and a prayer to sort out.

New fire (if can be fitted) will tidy every thing up.

Thanks for all the info. i,ll have a think? just one question ! do i have ti fit a specific type of fire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back