Bad Payers What do you do???

For the OP, write it off to experience, if it was £450 it would be worth pursuing but for £45 I wouldn't bother as annoying as it is.

Feel pity for these people as they will never be happy in their life.:cool:
Agree with that you can't even take them to court as it is under £50

Sponsored Links
Is there a big imagination magnet hanging over the planet?!

If the debt was £45, and the minimum debt for a court application was £50, then you just add £5 for late payment, or compensation, or whatever takes your fancy. :rolleyes:

Smack in the middle of a non paying builder for the princely sum of £867. This guys 72 years old, annoying fact is it was the owner of the house who recomended me as I installed their central heating last year. Allways try to steer away from working for builders, however got well and truly caught this time.

non payers aye! i have a really good one at the moment.

Fitting new carpets in entrance ways to a block of flats 3 floors high ( millonaires flats ) They have had the carpet made to there own spec and design. Had test samples sent out to them and they agreed they are what they want! Now the guy who was in charge has left the commity and has nothing to do with it anymore apparantly!
Anyway we had the carpets made to there spec ( all 23k worth of them and thats trade price, there bill after all work/underlay fitting/rebuild of all the stairs, etc etc is well over 23k!) which we had to pay upfront for as special order! Guess what? they arrive and say they dont like the quality of them anymore :eek: and want something else made instead :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now i have paid out for these carpets! I am not best pleased, and after long arguments they have said they will accept them, but i can see masive problems when they come to settle the bill!

So how do i stand on this one? They agree the quality, then they say after manufactorier of them that the guy who arranged the quality and apparently got them all approved no longer is on the commity and has packed up and moved abroad!

:evil: And to top things off, i went to start work there and the residents are now refusing for me to close of sections of the building ( health and safty on my behalf) to glue out sections of floor. I had one of the residents today move my barrier out of the way as she refused to walk an extra 20 meters on another route to her front door, instead she walked through the glue and told me that she will bill me for new shoes that are now covered in glue, as its my fault as i had blocked her way to her front door!

On the next floor down i have a guy who wont let us open a shared cubard between 3 residents to fit a door strip because " i have no right to go in there "

On the ground floor i have fitted a door bell so they can press it and i will come down and meet them and advice them which way they need to walk to there apartment to avoid dangerous areas, guess what? They refuse to press the bell because "they know best and dont need my advice "

Dont get me wrong here, some residents ( 2-3 maybe) are fine, but the rest are taken the P!55!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could go on but im getting really angry here just thinking about it!

Sponsored Links
Is there a big imagination magnet hanging over the planet?!

If the debt was £45, and the minimum debt for a court application was £50, then you just add £5 for late payment, or compensation, or whatever takes your fancy. :rolleyes:

The Delboy of DIYnot strikes again! ;)

Oharaf....what he is saying is..(ahem..best delboy accent)...'are you two going to be plonkers all your life?..just add £5 for late payment, or compensation, or whatever takes your fancy.

Cushdy... :cool:

This time next year, Zampa, we'll be miwwionaires. ;)

:LOL:

How many goes did you take to spell it like that? lol...bet you sat there pronouncing it in between too..

@ matty

Some people are just a**holes, nothing pleases them, and they do all they can to be a pain in the bum!

Guess you have to just bite the bullet, and when it is all over, just be greatful that is it, and hopefully your next customers will be nice as pie :)

Last time someone refused to pay me, I blocked their access. Police were called but as my truck is insured, taxed, etc... police soon left when they found out why saying it was a civil matter.

Cash took about an hour to arrive cos the customer had to walk to a cash machine. Tradesmen in our area are quite close knit so we share info on bad customers.

There should be an unofficial list of the bad payers.

non payers aye! i have a really good one at the moment.

Fitting new carpets in entrance ways to a block of flats 3 floors high ( millonaires flats ) They have had the carpet made to there own spec and design. Had test samples sent out to them and they agreed they are what they want! Now the guy who was in charge has left the commity and has nothing to do with it anymore apparantly!
Anyway we had the carpets made to there spec ( all 23k worth of them and thats trade price, there bill after all work/underlay fitting/rebuild of all the stairs, etc etc is well over 23k!) which we had to pay upfront for as special order! Guess what? they arrive and say they dont like the quality of them anymore :eek: and want something else made instead :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now i have paid out for these carpets! I am not best pleased, and after long arguments they have said they will accept them, but i can see masive problems when they come to settle the bill!

So how do i stand on this one? They agree the quality, then they say after manufactorier of them that the guy who arranged the quality and apparently got them all approved no longer is on the commity and has packed up and moved abroad!

:evil: And to top things off, i went to start work there and the residents are now refusing for me to close of sections of the building ( health and safty on my behalf) to glue out sections of floor. I had one of the residents today move my barrier out of the way as she refused to walk an extra 20 meters on another route to her front door, instead she walked through the glue and told me that she will bill me for new shoes that are now covered in glue, as its my fault as i had blocked her way to her front door!

On the next floor down i have a guy who wont let us open a shared cubard between 3 residents to fit a door strip because " i have no right to go in there "

On the ground floor i have fitted a door bell so they can press it and i will come down and meet them and advice them which way they need to walk to there apartment to avoid dangerous areas, guess what? They refuse to press the bell because "they know best and dont need my advice "

Dont get me wrong here, some residents ( 2-3 maybe) are fine, but the rest are taken the P!55!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could go on but im getting really angry here just thinking about it!

how much is £23k to you, ie how big is the company? personally I'd be inclined to take a deposit, or have the client order direct.

Also when working for resident committees, [the worst], I tell the person I'm dealing with, as nicely as possible, the contract - technicals and payment- is between me and them only and it's for them to sort all the individual requirements and individual payments out. Had one a short while ago, despite submitting plans of the proposed floodlighting I still had people walking up complaining about position/size of fitting/how will it affect stargazing etc etc etc. there's always one, except for when theres 2/3/4 etc.

As for knockers, never really had much problem. most of my customers are recommendations which helps, and no insinuations, I do always take care to make customers understand exactly what they're getting.

I did have a bird knock me for £500 on a £9k+ job last year, but like Bilioustrumpstaine says you just have to be philosophical about it sometimes- I know she'll have trouble there, cos I know she had builders altering my work after I'd left, 1 void guarantee for starters.

Sponsored Links
Back