Bad Payers What do you do???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently called to an elderly couples house, they had lost the light in the hall, infact CFL had exploded, massive short circuit on flex.

Discovered heat had burnt the flex and made the wire black and brittle, toook the fitting down to attempt to reflex it, big brass item!!!

The heat had welded the bayonet fitting closed!!!

So, cut the flex back to good fitted a ceiling pendant, checked the connections at the switches, which were all loose!!!! No cpc!!!

and left them with a working light and told them I would attempt to source the old fitting.

I had previously that week spent 2.5 hours sorting out there bodged ring final for which I charged them £50 (very cheap I think)

Any way had spent another 2 hours on this damn brass fitting, removing, trying to access bayonet fitting to reflex, cutting back to good and fitting a new pendant, all being temporaryish.

Droped a bill for £45 in, very very fair, i think

Today recieved a letter from them refusing to pay saying I had broken the flex!!!! They had called another sparky out who had the 'spare' part for the brass fitting.

They also said I had said there wiring was 'shot' which I had not, I had mearly pointed out that the flex was damaged due to heat build up, which will now of course happen again now the fitting is back up.

They say the electrician they used has worked for them for years!!!!

So why the frig did they call me out????

So effectively they have had free work and now don't want to pay.

They may be old, but they are ruthless.

For those in Leeds

J&B Bird, Woodway, Leeds - avoid them!!!!

Sponsored Links
Bad Payers What do you do???
I sue them, every time, and without hesitation.

Old, young, rich, poor, nice, nasty: it doesn't matter. I've never failed to get my money.

large hammer to big toe. (theirs not yours)

convinces people to pay.....

Sponsored Links
had this problem not so long ago,lucily managed to sort out what they thought was wrong must admit it was for alot more money.the best way is write down what ur gonna do get them to sign it then you got some thing writing.talk to them,see if you can get money from them other than that its court time or let it go as bad job

spent all day replacing a toilet & a bath. He wouldn't pay me for sundries or materials as agreed earlier. not for sealant, not for iso valves, not for tube or timber- nothing. his whole family got involved. i honestly believe i was in the presence of evil, that afternoon :eek:

1- That is why the Lord made the Mafia to collect un paid bills

2- That is why the devil made lawyers

3- Mechanics lien on the property, stops them from selling unless they bond the lien

Thankfully in over 25 years I had less then 3 non paying accounts.

Next time have them sign a work order prior to doing the work as it can be considered a contract

Brick into their front window?
So, is it your considered and professional advice, in the event that a customer refuses to pay a bill, to cause criminal damage to their property and risk personal injury to them?

spent all day replacing a toilet & a bath. He wouldn't pay me for sundries or materials as agreed earlier. not for sealant, not for iso valves, not for tube or timber- nothing. his whole family got involved. i honestly believe i was in the presence of evil, that afternoon :eek:

Hire a bloke from London as I hear they have kitchen knives used to collect

Hire a bloke from London as I hear they have kitchen knives used to collect
Perhaps you're right. Or perhaps you're simply some git in the USA who has no idea about what actually happens in the UK.

For the OP, write it off to experience, if it was £450 it would be worth pursuing but for £45 I wouldn't bother as annoying as it is.

Feel pity for these people as they will never be happy in their life.:cool:

Write them a letter telling them they have won a million pounds, and all that they need to do is send £45 to your address to claim it.

Works for the 419 scammers.

Sponsored Links
Back