Bad person?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I was working in the house of an elderly couple. The old boy is in his 90s, and his wife is not much younger.

When I arrived this morning Mrs. customer was in a real flap, and was very concerned about her house, and what I was going to need to do to it such as lifting floors and carpets etc.

I reassured her as best I could, and talked through with her what I was going to need to do, making it sound as simple as possible. Infact in all honesty, alot more simple than the job actually was.

I told the customer that I would only need to lift 1 floorboard infront of the fusebox which she was happy with.

As soon as the customers had been picked up by their daughter for a day out while the work was done, I dragged the fridge and cooker out, and cut four traps in the floor, knocked my holes through etc, cabled up and put the house together again.

When she returned she was again concerned about what I had needed to do so I lied to her and told her I just lifted 1 floor board at the CU.

Does it make me a bad person for lying to her, even though my intentions were good to save the customer from worrying about her lifted floors?

Sponsored Links
As I was reading that I thought you were going to say that when they were out you found their savings under the floor boards.

A white lie is sometimes called for. When you go to the dentist they never say...."hold on tight because this is gonna hurt!"

This sounds mean, but I like to tell them exactly what I need to do, then they are doubly amazed when at the end of the day, it looks like the place has been hardly touched.

Like a lighting rewire I did with a colleague in B'ham. The customer had just decorated when a spark went round & in the course of his work, found out the lighting had no cpc.

He said we could rewire it without disturbance!! So there was much relief all round when the place looked no different after we'd finished. Phew!

Sponsored Links
I think you did the right thing, to ease the lady's worry

But when she returned I think you should of told her exactly what you did: i.e when I took the floor board up I had to do a bit more work than I initially thought, then she is aware of it if anything should happen in the future or she needed to do any more work.

If another builder came in and started ripping the place apart and then told her he has made 4 holes etc, she might be worried by this that you lied to her which granted was a white lie and I completely understand why, but she might be more worried that if yopu lied to her about that was else did you lie about.

Just my opinion anyway, I think I would rather know afterwards, than find out in the future and be worried.

Telling white lies, is a necessary part of social interaction.
Were you to be absolutely 100% honest with everyone you know, you would soon cause a great deal of trouble for yourself........ :eek:

Especially questions from your wife ................ ;)

Sponsored Links
Back