Bad practice on this board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my board replaced with a new dual rcd one. My electrician opened my old one thats been in place for 25 years and I noted some units that have been doubled or sometimes tripled! See attached photo.

Is this bad / risky practice? I know very little but would be good to understand what previous owner/electricians were doing. Were they just saving having to put in another unit? Is this acceptable?

The 3 on the far right are smoke alarm and lights. There does seem a spare slot (thinking of an EV charger) but now I'm wanting to replace the whole board.

Attachments

• 20230804_094905.jpg
    20230804_094905.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Main switch, surge protection, RCBOs for each circuit.

A dual RCD clearance special from a DIY shed is the same as you have now with an extra RCD to cover the lighting. Entirely pointless and what was being installed 20+ years ago.
A fault on a circuit takes out half of the others as well. Just what no one needs.

The existing board is at least 30 years old, and probably more like 40.

Main switch, surge protection, RCBOs for each circuit.

A dual RCD clearance special from a DIY shed is the same as you have now with an extra RCD to cover the lighting. Entirely pointless and what was being installed 20+ years ago.
A fault on a circuit takes out half of the others as well. Just what no one needs.

The existing board is at least 30 years old, and probably more like 40.
Thanks thats useful, appears to be more space efficient too

They are, however you should also get one with several spare spaces to allow for extra circuit in the future as it's likely to be there for several decades.

Cancel the dual RCD and opt for a RCBO board.

Doubled - could be a ring
Tripled - could be a ring with a spur at the board

Be prepared for extra costs

The EVSE will require a dedicated RCD which interrupts all live conductors. Very few brands/models of RCBO will meet this requirement.

The single modular width RCBO does come in duel pole versions, but only the line is monitored for over current.

The problem is they seem to only come as type A, you can't it seems get a type B as single width, but if there is 6 mA DC detection and disconnection then does not need type B, and at cost of type B would not want to go down that route.

They are, however you should also get one with several spare spaces to allow for extra circuit in the future as it's likely to be there for several decades.
Interesting statement, given that you seem to be 'condemning' a CU for being "at least 30 years old" :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back