badly fitted hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum had a whirlpool hallogen hob (akm6264-nb) fitted today by - in my opinion - some cowboys. They didn't have any cable so pinched one off a mixer. They didn't have a plug so took one off a lamp. They then drilled through the countertop to bring the cable and plug up to the socket on the cooker point. Then they didn't have a 13A fuse so they took one out of another kitchen appliance.

I'm sure the hob was meant to be actually wired in to the (30A???) mains. And I'm sure it should be done with a thicker cable too (i think what they've used is called 1.5mm cable??)

The underside of the cooker says 5.6KW. I'm hopeless with electricity, my lessons at school are dim in the past and all I can do is rely on professionals. Can anyone please tell me if this is as dangerous as I suspect it is.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Utterly Clueless Lady :oops:

Sponsored Links
5.6kW = 24.3A @ 230V

This is most certainly not suitable for connection to a 13A socket outlet.

It really does need to be connected to a dedicated radial circuit.

This work should have been carried out by an electrician who is able to self certify their work.

It needs as a bare minimum* 2.5mm² cable, but ideally 4.0mm² or 6.0mm² should supply this appliance, with a readily accessible isolator.

*If installed in optimum conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back