Baking lampholders

Sponsored Links
Just use MK plastic lampholders.

They have a metal bit to hold the bulb in place, and should last for a good few years.
A good few years? Brass ones will last a lifetime.

Several lifetimes actually.

Brass lampholders is madness.
Nonsense - it's an excellent material. Far more appropriate than plastic.

Ever had a plastic lampholder, which even if undamaged, just won't unscrew any more?

Ever had that happen to a brass one (in a normal domestic interior environment)?

They need earthing which is a PITA,
Pyro is more work to install than T/E as well. Why do you do it when you don't have to?

and they'd look awful too.
Unlike these of course, which look lovely.

They need earthing which is a PITA,
Pyro is more work to install than T/E as well. Why do you do it when you don't have to?

I don't know what you mean by 'Pyro' or 'T/E'. Are you saying a brass lampholder doesn't need to be earthed? If it does need to be earthed I'm stuck with the plastic ones as my lighting circuits have no earth connections.

I checked the markings on the lampholders I have mentioned. They are all T2. I remembered another 100W bulb in the house. It's in the front room so on as much as any other bulb. The lampholder has been in place for at least a few years but doesn't show any sign of burning. So maybe it's all down to quality. I'm not buying unbranded fittings from discount shops any more.

I don't know what you mean by 'Pyro' or 'T/E'.
Pyro

(Interestingly given the similarity, a genericised word like Biro.)

It's used to refer to a cable type called MICC - mineral-insulated copper-clad, because the original and best-known maker here was a company called Pyrotenax, although they did not invent it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral-insulated_copper-clad_cable

RF is a great fan of it - in fact he wrote the guide in the Wiki on how to install it. //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:micc

As you'll see, there's a lot of work involved in using it, and it's also very expensive: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=f&q=micc+cable&tbm=shop .

But RF loves it so much he has been known to use it when it wasn't really necessary, which is why it seemed ironic to me that he would dismiss the idea of using brass lampholders because of the extra fiddle of having to earth them.

T/E

Twin & Earth: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:flatpvccables

Are you saying a brass lampholder doesn't need to be earthed?
No - they definitely do.

If it does need to be earthed I'm stuck with the plastic ones as my lighting circuits have no earth connections.
So also no lights which require earthing, and no metal switches.

A lighting circuit with no earths is an indication of an installation of a certain age - it might be an idea to have an electrician give it all the once-over.

Sponsored Links
That Wiki link says these cables are susceptible to corrosion by urine. I won't ask how that came to be known :mrgreen:
On a farm I'd imagine.
... or from a little knowledge of the chemistry of copper and ammonia.

I think you're almost spot-on, RF - I seem to recall that the effect of urine-derived ammonia on copper was first described, many moons ago, when it resulted in destruction of the copper-containing cases of rifle cartridges which had been stored in a horse stable!

Kind Regards, John

I have a 7.62mm cartridge case on my keyring.

Must make a note never to p*** on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back