Balancing Radiators - Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The radiator in my living room doesn’t get as hot as the rest of the radiators in the house.

I started to balance them last night, but when I turn the valve all the way to the end on the problem radiator, water starts leaking out.

This doesn’t happen on any of the others. Does this explain the problem I’m having? And is it normal?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
no it just means that the gland is worn turn the spindle down a few turns and then tighten the little nut where the water comes out and it should stop leaking, wont make any difference to you rad heating up though

Where exactly are you seeing water escaping ,if not at the spindle as ianmcd said ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a weeping lockshield and isn't really something to be concerned about.

Sounds like a weeping lockshield and isn't really something to be concerned about.

Really? Even on a sealed system.

Half the lockshields out there are junk quality...breath on them and they'll leak. If there's no gland nut round the spindle replace the valve.

Where exactly are you seeing water escaping ,if not at the spindle as ianmcd said ?

Sorry - I'm not familiar with terminology so just trying to describe what I see.

When I am turning the valve with the pliers, it is seeping out at the base of the part that I am turning (indicated by the red arrow on the attachment).

Attachments

• LS Valve.jpg
    LS Valve.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 252
Really? Even on a sealed system.

Half the lockshields out there are junk quality...breath on them and they'll leak. If there's no gland nut round the spindle replace the valve.

I started to balance them last night, but when I turn the valve all the way to the end on the problem radiator, water starts leaking out.

So you've never had a LS weep when you've been messing with them?

OP - when you say leak, do you mean a leak in the conventional sense, it won't stop or as I've suggested a weep caused by your adjustment?

When I am turning the valve with the pliers, it is seeping out at the base of the part that I am turning (indicated by the red arrow on the attachment).

Continuous or just a drop that stops after you've stopped moving it?

Continuous or just a drop that stops after you've stopped moving it?

It starts to seep out slowly, but when I tighten it back up it stops. However, this doesn't happen on any of the other radiators in the house - I can turn them to the maximum in both directions without any water coming out.

My Dad suggested the problem with it not heating up properly could be that it is all sludged up (he isn't a plumber though) - so I wondered whether this is what is coming out?

Have you tried tightening down the valve gland nut? That's the brass nut located below the valve spindle. Try that to see if it cures the leak when moving the valve spindle between open and closed.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with terminology so just trying to describe what I see.

That is the gland seal nut that I told you how to sort get the proper tools you will not manage with pliers

Give us a pic of your valve......it may have a gland nut or maybe sealed with an O ring. The diagram you have posted is the O ringed type and isnt adjustable.
John :)

Give us a pic of your valve......it may have a gland nut or maybe sealed with an O ring. The diagram you have posted is the O ringed type and isnt adjustable.
John :)

Attachments

• 9A531406-9C7A-49DB-B1A2-1DE7D9701242.jpeg
    9A531406-9C7A-49DB-B1A2-1DE7D9701242.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 293

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back